Dog Grooming/Clippers

I have a large curly labradoodle who I want to start grooming myself as I am finding it too expensive.  I have bought the grooming table and have been told Andis and Wahl are the best clippers but then I read that they were not very good for labradoodle as they have a woolly fur.

I then looked at sheep shearers but have dismissed that, what do you advise?

Happy summer!
You picked a very high maintenance breed so I can understand your situation completely. You didn't say where you were located so I can only assume you need a warm weather cut for now.
Not sure who told you those clippers won't work but they are wrong. Sheep shearer could possibly do major damage to your dogs skin. This is NOT advised. If you buy the professional pet grooming series providing you get get the proper training, you should have no problem- these brands are the work horses of the pet grooming industry. The biggest problem you might be having is the matting this wooly breed is prone to when the hair is longer than 1/4 inch.
Getting the table is best thing you could start with. Next invest in a really good slicker brush that won't burn or scratch the skin. Many of these slickers are breed specific-which is not stated so be careful. The Universal brand is for poodle hair but too stiff for a doodle so try the large Doggy Man brand. Also you MUST have a metal comb - an essential!  It is a large two sided come that catches he knots you miss with the slicker.
When clipping this breed unless you can get all the matts out only certain blades can get under those clumps and if you aren't careful the skin can get caught and be severely damaged - less so than the sheep shears but a possibility.
Your best choice is to keep the hair really short all the time. Once a month using #5 blade which won't chew the skin and will leaves a small amount of hair. As you get more proficient you can leave more hair by employing snap on combs to a #30-40 blade. The real trick is learning to brush the hair and keeping it Matt free in order for the clipper not to get snagged.
Try watching some you tube videos showing how to use the clippers and the patterns suggested for your breed.
Good luck!

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website