Dog Grooming/hand plucking a fox terrier

Hello,  I have an eight year old Airedale Terrier that I would like to learn to hand pluck.  He has been hand plucked in the past, but I don't know how to maintain his coat, and when I try to hand pluck him, it just seems too difficult and the hand plucking tools I bought don't seem to work to help. Just trying to do his neck takes forever for me.   I have been told that since he's nine, it would be best to clipper him.  But, I don't want him to lose the vibrant colors of his coat.  Having him done professionally has been very costly, so I only end up having him done about every four to six months.   I spend part of my time with him in Texas, and used a hand plucker there.  She told me that she could tell that the fancy, upscale NYC groomer I was taking him to was not hand plucking him, though they said they were, and showed me how she knew they were not.  On my own, I felt something did not look right every time I picked him up.  The hair lay flat and was pointed to the touch, like hard bristles on a brush, because he had been clipped.  So, what she showed me made complete sense, especially since he had been losing his coat color. I had him hand plucked by her a few times after that, and his coat color came back.  The NYC groomer was charging me $190 each time I brought him in.  I would be happy to pay for lessons from someone who could actually teach me.  I've paid people in the past, but they show me for a half an hour, and then expect me to know what to do, and I don't seem to be picking up what they're doing.  I am generally good with anything involving hands and motor skills, but not this. Can you offer any advice?  I am currently in south New Jersey for the summer.

If you are serious about lessons you can contact me through my website- however I can tell you that isn't cheap either - 2 sessions totaling around 10 hours 8 weeks apart
I can teach you how to use your tools better if you have decent equipment otherwise you may have to replace them too.
Sorry you had a bad experience with the groomer - very few salons offer the real deal. Aside from the fact so few people know how it just isn't  cost effective for a shop so they fake it but eventually the coat tells the tale by texture and color as the other groomer showed you.
Airedales take a lot of time so if you can't keep up with it you are making it more stressful for you and your dog. Your dogs age is also a factor in deciding whether or not you should continue plucking it. Regardless there are some shortcuts you can take for a pet that give you a better result.  

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website