Dog Grooming/Grooming of a Bolognese Dog

Question
Hi Elizabeth

I have ordered the grooming tools you suggested for my dog and I look forward to using them. I was looking around my dogs ears where the fur meets the skin and there are some little seeds caught in the fur. My dog is finding these itchy and she has been scratching them and caused part of the skin to bleed. Its not easy removing these seeds have you got any suggestions?
Thanks
Sam

Answer
Hi Sam,
those seeds can be very nasty and grow into the skin- we call similar things Foxtails here and they burrow or germinate in moist skin. Get them out quick. Use the slicker with your finger against the skin and card the matts over the finger till they break apart and the seeds should come out as well. If the matts are too big for you to handle, slide a comb between the skin and the hair and cut them out so you can start over. Check her frequently and pick them out. Keep her out of places where she is likely to pick them up and above all rid your property of them so this ceases to be an issue.
Good Luck

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)