Dog Grooming/Grooming of a Bolognese Dog

Hi Elizabeth

We have two Bolognese Dogs (cousin of the Bichon Frese) and we have a continuing problem with their fur which gets matted particularly behind the ears and behind their legs. We do keep it under control by daily grooming and I use detanglers on the fur which do an ok job but its not great. My dog has quite thick white fur which is difficult to tease apart without hurting her. She does have short fur because of this problem. I have seen these dogs look beautiful with long fur and well kept without tangles. Without paying a professional groomer to do the job (and they tend to shave the matts off) how can we keep this type of fur from matting?

Thanks in advance

I would appreciate any type of brush or detangler that would help.

Hi Sam,
What you see in pictures and shows are not realistic in the real world unless you are a professional groomer or have trained as one. And they use tricks when showing them. Like, they wrap the hair and band it so it doesn't drag in the dirt, plus they are washed and blown out constantly.  I have clients who have them done every week, so don't  feel frustrated just realize they are no different grooming a human. I personally  do my own dogs every 5- 10 days or my husband does😜.
Let's begin with fact they have hair like cotton so it is a constant battle. I recommend removing any collars or ornaments from the neck when they are in the home because it makes the hair around the neck and behind the ears knot and matt. If you must keep a collar on use smooth rolled leather. Also keep the ears clean. Matted ears are a sign of ear infection. Keep the hair on the rear short so urine doesn't soak into it and matt it. It doesn't take much moisture to do that. Feet and rear short. Any moisture causes matting. If you bathe them and don't blow dry forget it. One big matt. On the subject of matts, the slicker brush you use and the technique are often causing the problem of sensitivity. There are different slickers for different coats. You need the softest on the market which is DoggyMan by Millers Forge. It is only one tool but the only brand I recommend for the breed. Also you need a pin brush for daily brushing. Chris Christiansen has the best. An oval shape medium size. You absolutely must have a Greyhound metal comb- fine/medium for combing through to make sure you have the coat completely combed out. My strongest suggestion is to have a private space set up so you can just pop it up and run the brush and comb through every day. Sound like a lot a lot work? Kind of until you make a routine of it and takes 5-10 minutes a day. Invest in a grooming table wth an arm. Save your back, train your dog and you will have exactly what you're looking for. Be prepared to invest the time otherwise keep it in a short short puppy cut.
Hope this gives you an idea.

Dog Grooming

ElizaBeth CRONK (Horch)

Professional Dog Groomer-How to groom dogs- all breeds but specialize in the Art of the Hand Plucked Terrier, Bichon and Portugese Water Dog. Scissoring, clippering, and most known for hand plucked terrier skills. I am well known for my private business in Manhattan. I train owners and professionals looking to upgrade their skills Trained at NY School of Dog Grooming and apprenticed with several Internationally known expert breeders, handlers, and judges, assisted many years Westminster and Montgomery Kennel club shows.

28 years private residential dog grooming service- I have groomed over 30,000 dogs I teach professionals and private clients

Member Twin Brooks Kennel CLub- NJ Morris and Essex Kennel Club American Fox Terrier Club

Publications DVD Splish Splash the Doggies Bath- a how to for basic dog bathing Terrierific Facebook Fan page consultant for various pet publications and manufacturers of pet products

New York School of Dog Grooming/ worked with many professional handlers, assisted many dog shows, bred my own dogs, private tutoring

private listing over 250
video now available on website testimonials on website