Dog Training/Anxious, Fearful, Crazy dog!

SareR18 wrote at 2012-10-28 20:46:23
I certainly do not agree with his response either. I'm not a dog expert by any means, however I have had success in training dogs. I am wondering if perhaps he didn't communicate his suggestions properly. While his suggestions are good, the technique he is implying will result in an ever more anxious and unsure dog.  

I once had a Great Pyrenees who hated his crate as well. In fact, he feared everything. Even a tennis ball was enough to send this giant into a frenzy. Here is what I did with Wembley and the crate.

Bring the crate/kennel into a commonly used room.

Leave the door to the crate open.

Any time Wembley showed any attention to the kennel, be it a quick glance, sniffing it, walking past it ... I rewarded him. Treats, praise, affection. However, only reward a dog when it is calm. If you reward him when he anxious, you reward the feeling. He will associate the anxious feeling with reward. Reward when the dog does what you want him to do in the calm state you want.

I'm not sure why anyone would suggest getting in a dogs face and in his space when you are trying to teach the dog to respect your space. You can, by using blocking with legs and arms teach your dog you are the leader, he must respect your space.

Your dog wants to please you. He yearns for direction. Reward the calm, submissive behavior. Correction of the crazy behavior will come in time as your pup learns you expect him to be calm.

Right now I struggle with 2 shepherd pups. Female 8 month old king shepherd and 6 month old German shepherd. They go absolutely mental when it's walk time, feeding time, coming out of the kennel. We are working on the rewarding the calm behaviour. They don't get fed until they sit and relax. They don't go outside for a walk until the sit and relax. They don't get to come out of the kennel until they stop going crazy (seriously - sometimes I think they'll shake the kennel apart!). You will feel them relax. They will physically relax then its almost like the air around them calms. That's when you reward them.  

Dog Training

Henry Ruhwiedel, BS B/M, CPBE, APDT

Dog training, kenneling, behavior. We train dogs at our facility that offers seperate training building, boarding and grooming facility, 5 acres of dog and cat space. We train pet store and county animal control officers and staff animal behavior and training, to aid adoptability and improve safety and handling of stray dogs. We use AKC Rally style training using agility equipment and positve reinforcement with our own book and DVD as training aids. We've trained over 120 breeds and thousands of dogs. We developed and taught college course at Indiana University, "Professional Animal Behavior and Care" wrote our own book and DVD for obedience training and understanding animal behavior that all training clients receive as part of basic obedience.

Owner, Westwind Kennels LLC, Crown Point, IN. Training dogs for nearly 50 years. Developed and taught college class, Professional Animal Care and Behavior at Indiana University for 6 yers. Authord book and DVD on obedience training. We own over a dozen dogs, 10 cats, and have had as many as 20 dogs at one time of many breeds from Greyhound, Beagle, Basset, Rottweiler, Doberman, Akita, Briard, German Short Hair pointer, Labrador, Shepherd, Husky, mutts, most from animal shelters.

ABKA, AKC, APDT, Red Cross,

Book and DVD on obedience training, several Chicago TV appearances, TV Guide, McCalls, TV appearances in Toledo, Detroit, Lansing, Topeka, since 1970.

BS, BM, EET, Red Cross certified pet/human CPR trainer, developed and taught college level animal behavior and care for professionals, CPBE, and an Emmy (1997)

Recommended by county animal control, area vets, Red Cross, Great Lakes Greyhound, mamy others.

Thousands of individuals, police dogs, drug dogs, S&R and bomb detection dogs. Our facility includes 24/7 doggy cam of the entire facililty.