Dog Training/Off leash training for husky boxer mix

Question
Shiba
Shiba  
Hello,
Me and my fiancÚ recently rescued a husky/boxer mix female. She is currently 12 weeks and we are starting to pro-actively train her as we go. My main concern is about her husky side. I am a 6 day a week mountain bike rider and one of my goals in getting a dog was to have one that I could ride with off leash. I ofcourse,in my excitement of finding a cute puppy to rescue did not research the fact that huskys are known to be very tough to train to be off lead dogs. Is there any hope for our pup Shiba to be off lead? We do plan to have her on the leash for hiking and such but still having grown up with austrailian shepherds I was hoping for this style of attention and obedience.

I apologize if this is a broad idea but just looking for some hope other than the small glimmer I have heard from the few individuals that have been able to train there huskies to be off lead. (Granted our pup is again a husky/boxer mix)

Any insight would be awesome
Thank you
Bryce

Answer
Hi Bryce,

Well, I'm not one to give up so easily and I would not say that your goal of having a dog that runs off leash along side you that is part husky is totally out of reach.

Your dog may have some husky in her but she is a mix and therefore I think you stand a better chance of having a dog that will not run off. So here's the thing. Huskies run because they have been bred to run. I believe you can direct that natural ability and drive. Dogs that enjoy a low amount of off leash time or outdoors time will run like the dickens when they have the opportunity. So, one secret of having a dog that doesn't run away from you is giving the dog lots of off leash time, especially while it is young.

Another important measure is reward-based training. You must make coming to you and being with you very rewarding for your puppy and never, ever scold her if she should not come when called. Reward every single check-in with praise and or treats and never call your puppy to you for anything she does not like.

There is a DVD I would recommend you purchase called the Really Reliable Recall (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VnLVm2GhQw) by Leslie Nelson. Leslie has been able to teach reliable recalls to her sighthounds and if she can do that with these dogs, you should be able to teach it to your husky mix.

What I would suggest to you is to learn clicker training (from a reliable source such as a Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner:https://www.karenpryoracademy.com/find-a-trainer - call the 800 number if you don't see a trainer listed for your area)and teach your dog to run alongside your bike starting now. You could use a leash attachment to start for the purpose of training, but I'm thinking once your dog understands what is expected and enjoys your company and running, you can leave the leash off.

You will need to have a really reliable recall and you will also need to train your dog in impulse control with exercises such as eye contact, "leave it" and waiting at the door and to be fed.

Good luck - I think you can do it!

Cindy  

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA