Dog Training/pomeranian male 2 and half month old. Need potty training help

We have a half pomeranian puppy about 2 and half months old. We got him from a previous owner who has had him since birth. He sleeps most of the day and stays up most of the night unless he sleeps with us.He was taught to go potty on training pad at her place and he used them but for some reason he refuses to use them at our place. He knows he needs to use them because he will go potty on them and around them but sometimes will just go on the carpet anyways. He peed on the couch, towels and carpet. We have been using the words"Go potty" when we put him on the pad but he will just stand or lay down on the pad. He has never been outside but we took him outside once to see if he would go but he just sat down,looked around and stated shaking. He has been at our house now for about a week. We are confused on how to punish him for gong on the carpet because he knows better but will still do it. The question is Why is it that he won't go potty on the pads unless we put him there? Should we just start taking him outside to go potty instead of using the pads?

He doesn't have a clue that he shouldn't pee on YOUR carpet, even if he knew that he shouldn't do it at the last house he was in, which I doubt, given his age.  Also, at only two months old, you could train him to go outside, and then you won't have to have pads around if you don't want them.  Here's how to do it (this works even if you want to teach him to potty on pads), straight from Dr. Ian Dunbar, the father of modern positive dog training:
I would strongly advise you to enroll him in a good positive or clicker puppy class right now, since it's the best way to give him confidence, have him develop good social skills, and establish a good communication system between you right from the start.  If you don't have the means, or there is no positive trainer nearby, you can try the lessons at

Dog Training

Anne Springer, B.A., Dip., CTDI, CLWI, CAPCT, VA

I'm happy to answer questions on behavior and training. I prefer a training philosophy much like your physician might adopt when treating patients - first, do no harm. Dogs are generally best trained using humane methods that make sense to them and put you in control, not necessarily by physical means, but by controlling the dog's access to resources, such as food, toys, access to the outdoors, etc. I want your dog to behave, but also to trust you and rely on you for guidance.

Professional trainer, owner of Paws for Praise, in Danvers, MA. We use positive training and behavior modification techniques, and are committed to having the dogs that come through our center be both as well trained and behaviorally healthy as we can help their humans make them.

International Positive Dog Training Association (Regional Director for Massachusetts) APDT Therapy Dogs, Inc. Truly Dog Friendly

Gloucester Times, Ipswich Chronicle,, and more

B.S., Cum Laude, Salem State College Diploma, Dog Obedience Training/Instruction (Apprenticed also) Graduate, New York School of Dog Grooming Pet CPR/First Aid Certified Certified Pet Care Technician AKC CGC Evaluator Therapy Dogs Inc. Tester/Observer

Psi Chi Psychology Honor Society