Dog Training/8 week old chinook puppy

Question
my question is I have had my puppy for 3 days and when I bring him outside to potty all he does is whine and pull on the leash a m I causing long term affects  on him he eventually does relieve himself but it is such a tremendous ordeal and it keeps getting longer and longer it is to the point thank you when he sees the leash he runs to his crate

Answer
You want to avoid pulling on his neck, so you may want to consider using a halter with him. If you do, you will want to pair it with food so that he does not develop an aversion to it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7edMjwEY1c  You could also do the same with his leash.

It takes puppies a while to get used to and like their leashes. It sound like your puppy does not like going outside. When you say he pulls on the leash, do you mean he bites it and tugs or he pulls against it with his neck?

When you take your puppy outside, you should only be waiting for a minute or two, no longer, Make sure you stand still, remain quiet and keep the leash length consistent, no more than 6 feet. Take him to the same location every time. If he eliminates, praise him and give him a treat. If he does not go back inside and crate him if you think he should have had to go and didn't, for example, after eating. Then take him back outside in 10 minutes and repeat until he does eliminate.

You can use play time or a walk as another reward for elimination outside. After your puppy eliminates allow him some off leash time if you are in a location where it is safe. This is not only a reward, but I think is a good practice for helping to build a reliable recall. Dogs that don't get much off leash time don't want to come back to their owners when they get off leash, so I like to start this as puppies.

If you allow your puppy playtime indoors, you will probably need to take him back outside to eliminate after he has run around a bit.

To get your puppy to like his leash you need to be cognizant of what it represents. To most dogs leashes represent a walk and they learn to like their leashes. Pair putting your puppy's leash on with tasty treats such as chicken or cheese and find out what he really likes to reward him after he eliminates outdoors - treats, a walk, playtime, petting, praise, etc.

Never punish your puppy for "accidents" inside. This can cause him to not want to eliminate in your presence and go somewhere out of your site to eliminate inside.

From what you write, it does not sound like you are going to cause any long term damage. Just keep it positive and exercise patience. Pair attaching the leash with tasty food and reward your puppy after he eliminates outside.

Hope this helps.

Cindy  

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA