Dog Training/Beagle crate urination

Question
Hi we have a 15week old beagle girl Named Milly. We are crate training her and she holds her bladder overnight almost every night. If she has an accident overnight we wash her bedding using odour neutralising wash straight away. During the day when we are not here she is on the balcony where her crate is (door open) toys, food, water and a wee mat wich she knows what it is for and has been using well. Lately she has been going into her crate and wee'ing on her bed instead of the mat. Can you offer advice on how we train her out of this. Thanks

Answer
Hi Jono.  Remove her bed entirely.  It sounds like she's developing a preference for wetting on a bed-like surface.  You want to nip that in the bud now!  Let her crate just be bare for a couple of days.  If you find she's still going in the crate to wet, remove it from the balcony as well, and just put the pads where it used to be.  Once she starts using the pads exclusively for 2-3 weeks, you can add the bedding back.

Let me know if you have questions!

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP