Dog Training/eating problems

How long can a bulldog go without eating due to stubbornness?? She is 7 and normally gets a tasty item in her dry food. Trying to ween her off of it. She hasn't eaten her last 3 meals???? Is this common????

Most dogs usually will start eating -- if nothing is wrong with them -- within three days. I did check on a DVM site too, here's what was there.

"Dogs can live for quite a while without food, depending on their physical condition prior to the period of starvation. I have heard anecdotal stories about dogs living three to four weeks without access to food.

Dogs will die much more rapidly without water, although I do not know if anyone has actually studied this to determine some sort of average length of time that it would take. This would be influenced by the circumstances at the time of water deprivation. In hot weather water restriction might lead to death in as short a time as a day but under ideal circumstances it wouldn't surprise me if a dog could live as long as a week without water. That is just a guess on my part --- not sometime that I know to be a fact. But it is not a good idea to experiment to see. Dogs should have fresh water available to them at all times, ideally.

Mike Richards, DVM"

Dog Training

Kathleen A. Riley-Daniels

I am known for my originality, creativity and flexibility in dog training, and I specialize in everything from training and handling skills to behavior challenges. All breeds, personalities and skill levels are welcomed including handlers and/or dogs with physical limitations. I encourages students to work outside their comfort zone for enhanced learning and utilizing skills that best fit the needs of each team. Keeping the focus on fun, play and praise. My enthusiasm for training is contagious and all efforts of both dog and handler are rewarded. If you are looking for assistance in house training or other training areas, please visit my web site or blog first and see if the information there is helpful to you: or or YouTube Channel

I have trained and participated in many canine performance events including obedience, rally obedience, field, herding, tracking, conformation, weight pull, training and judging 4-H, assistance dog training and wrangling for movies. I teach private and group lessons, workshops, seminars, camps, lecture internationally and have written award winning articles for numerous publications. I was voted one of the Twin Cities Top Dog Trainers by the readers of Twin City Tails Magazine, I am a certified in Animal Nutrition, Animal Training and Behavior and am an evaluator for the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen program.

Various local, regional and national breed clubs.

Have worked as an editor, on staff and as a volunteer on a variety of community, local, regional, national and international publications.

College degree and life-long learning with multiple certifications in training, behavior, nutrition and education. I am a life-long learner and I accentuate the positive for both dogs and handlers and my training methods are specifically designed to bring teams to their full potential by customizing training plans and focusing on training exercises that best benefit each individual team.

Voted one of the top trainers in the Twin Cities.