Dog Training/Great Dane/ does not hold her bowels

Question
I have a 1 1/2 year old Great Dane. She has always been on the nervous side. Got her when she was 7 months old. Can't leave her without her having a huge accident. Have tried kennel. And that worked well. Now she is defecating in the kennel. She has a Doberman sister who controls herself all the time. We just brought home a baby,and we have been all along including them both in the pregnancy,so we don't think baby is problem,as she was like this before pregnancy.
We schedule walks and take her out first thing in morning.
She cries all night also.
We have had her examined by our vet numerous times so now we are trying a spray for hormones.
Any suggestions?

Answer
It is hard to say with this much information what is going on with your dog. Has the vet given your dog a diagnosis?

You could try an Anxiety Wrap (www.anxietywrap.com) to help reduce her anxiety. Make sure she is getting plenty of exercise according to her individual needs and do some training with her using positive reinforcement - no correction. Clicker training is best.

If you got her at 7 mos. of age her early experiences and/or lack of them shaped her personality before you got her. She may not have been properly socialized as a pup and that's why she's so nervous. Genetics may also play a role.

You need to use an enzymatic cleaner to remove all trace of scent from where she has eliminated to discourage her from going there again. One brand is Nature's Miracle, but there are others.

You can also try Through a Dog's Ear (http://throughadogsear.com/) music to help calm your dog and some gentle massage. Talk to her - I think most dogs find their owner's voice calming - unless they are yelled at.

I have not seen much effect from the pheromones or calming collars with herbs.

Other products you could try include Bach's Flower Essences, specifically Rescue Remedy although I have never had a need to use this myself and cannot say from personal experience how it works. You could also try L-theanine or Composure, which are pharmaceutical alternatives consisting of natural ingredients. In my experience these products work pretty well, but I did see one dog have an idiosyncratic reaction to the Composure, so do this under the supervision and guidance of your vet.

If your dog is having these accidents when you leave she may have separation anxiety. Here are some tips on how to manage that: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/dog-care/overcoming-separation-anxiety.aspx, http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-articles/seperation-an.

Where is your dog sleeping at night? Can you bring her into the bedroom? She may stop crying if she is near you.

I hope this helps.

Cindy  

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA