Dog Training/14 week old female German Shepard

Hi Barb. We have a 14 week old GS puppy and are having a hard time getting her to Not pee in her crate. She can sleep through the night with no problem and when we go to let her out she pees sometimes a little and sometimes a lot then goes out and pees more.Her crate is just big enough for her to stand and turn but when she lays down she is touching both sides and she still goes and lays in it.She makes very few mistakes in the house and goes to the door to let us know when she needs to go. We take her out first thing in the morning and right before bed. We take her out around every hour and she can't seem to stop going in her crate.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Hi Anthony.  First, make sure that she doesn't have a UTI. Take her to your vet and tell him about the frequency of urination. He may want to get a urine sample for testing.

Once it's determined that she's healthy, I might try another method of confinement for a few weeks.  Once puppies develop a substrate preference for urinating, it can be hard to break that habit.  You might try confining her to a laundry room or small bathroom with a baby gate, or an exercise pen - anything other than the plastic surface of the crate.

A 3 month old puppy shouldn't be left confined for more than 4 hours during the day. You don't say how long she's in the crate, but any longer than that is too long to expect a puppy to hold her bladder - even without a UTI.  

Please let me know if you have any questions about anything I've recommended or want to follow up with further information.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer