Dog Training/Older Chihuahua chasing younger Chihuahua

I have 2 year old Chihuahua and recently got a 1 month old longcoat chihuahua. When I first introduced the puppy to the older one at home, I figured that the older didn't know how to respond to the new born (She was drooling excessively). We just let them be. But the usual case is that the older would get annoyed at a younger pup because of it's playfulness right? But in our case, the older Chihuahua keeps on following the younger one who's just quiet and sleeps a lot. I don't really understand what the older one wants and I'd appreciate it if you could help me decipher her actions.

*both are female Chihuahuas. The older is not used to interacting with other dogs and gets used to other people if she constantly sees them.

The older dog may be trying to figure out what the younger dog is doing there and to maintain some control of the situation. It is difficult to say without out seeing them interact.

Patience, commitment and consistency are the keys to introducing a new puppy to your current dog. Here are some tips to help make the new arrangement a happy one.

What to Do When You Bring a New Puppy Home

1. Go to a neutral location, like a park, and walk the dogs on leash from the park back to the house.
2. Remove all the toys, bones, and other favorite items of the older dog so there is no possessive fighting potential. Then slowly reintroduce the toys after some time.
3. Pup will need to learn the rules of your household. The older dog should be able to teach the younger dog what is acceptable, just make sure there are any fights or attempted attacks. If things get too rough, make a loud noise or use a forceful voice to stop a fight. If this fails, put a chair or other large object in between the dogs. Never use your hands to separate your dogs at their heads, this is a good way to have one accidentally bite you.
4. Be sure to give your dogs plenty of one-on-one attention, and do it when they aren't near each other. You'll also want to create a neutral space, I use crates for that, for each dog, so they can retreat there as needed. Give food, bones and treats in this space only.
5. Praise any positive interactions -- this is the time to use your happy voice.

Watch for signs of aggressive behavior, and continue to provide positive reinforcement. It may take a while, but you can be successful introducing a new puppy to your dog as long as you're patient.

Dog Training

Kathleen A. Riley-Daniels

I am known for my originality, creativity and flexibility in dog training, and I specialize in everything from training and handling skills to behavior challenges. All breeds, personalities and skill levels are welcomed including handlers and/or dogs with physical limitations. I encourages students to work outside their comfort zone for enhanced learning and utilizing skills that best fit the needs of each team. Keeping the focus on fun, play and praise. My enthusiasm for training is contagious and all efforts of both dog and handler are rewarded. If you are looking for assistance in house training or other training areas, please visit my web site or blog first and see if the information there is helpful to you: or or YouTube Channel

I have trained and participated in many canine performance events including obedience, rally obedience, field, herding, tracking, conformation, weight pull, training and judging 4-H, assistance dog training and wrangling for movies. I teach private and group lessons, workshops, seminars, camps, lecture internationally and have written award winning articles for numerous publications. I was voted one of the Twin Cities Top Dog Trainers by the readers of Twin City Tails Magazine, I am a certified in Animal Nutrition, Animal Training and Behavior and am an evaluator for the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen program.

Various local, regional and national breed clubs.

Have worked as an editor, on staff and as a volunteer on a variety of community, local, regional, national and international publications.

College degree and life-long learning with multiple certifications in training, behavior, nutrition and education. I am a life-long learner and I accentuate the positive for both dogs and handlers and my training methods are specifically designed to bring teams to their full potential by customizing training plans and focusing on training exercises that best benefit each individual team.

Voted one of the top trainers in the Twin Cities.