Dog Training/timid puppy

Question
Hello i just got a puppy from a person who kept the mother and 5 puppies in one room and never cleaned up any feces or urine from this tile floored room and never let the puppies outside. The only human contact was with one mean man who would bring in the food.
O.k. the problem is that this dog, a Lab and German Shepard mix, is scared of everything. Of course bringing him outside was just a complete shock not to mention the car ride, new people, new house and no siblings or mother around. He is afraid of everyone and everything.My son has gotten the closest to him but the puppy is still not completely trusting. Its only been 3 days but im worried this will stay with him forever.The puppy is 3 months old. How do i go about trying to get him out of his shell?

Answer
At age three months, he may be able to recover somewhat.  Get a good positive trainer to help you, take a look at this site, too: www.fearfuldogs.com.
To get a pup to be less fearful of an object, person, location:
1. Don't use any force - let the pup explore on its own.
2. Use desensitization and counter-conditioning (http://www.aspca.org/Pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/desensitization-and-counte)
3. Relax - it takes more than a few days to see what the pup's real personality is like
4. Get pup into a positive training puppy class with a good positive trainer!  Look on the Pet Professional Guild site, or on Karen Pryor Academy, the Academy for Dog Trainers, or Truly Dog Friendly listings.

Dog Training

Anne Springer, B.A., Dip., CTDI, CLWI, CAPCT, VA