Dog Training/dog aggression

i have a 7 month old spayed shih tzu mix and she gets aggressive sometimes. for example she likes to bite on dolls so if i take the doll away from her or anything that she wants shes starts to bark and attack my legs. she'll keep biting and growling until she gets tired. she also is very spiteful if she gets put in time out she will definitely try to get you back by peeing on your things or taking a poop on your shoe. she has been doing this for about 5 months now and I've had her since she was 7 weeks old.

Shantice, teach your dog to drop things on cue so you don't have to forcefully take something from her.  Here's my favorite way to teach this:

Dogs don't eliminate out of spite.  They eliminate because of pressure on their bladder and the need to move their bowel muscles.  When they elminate in the house, they do so because of lack of housetraining or, more likely in your case, stress and anxiety.  They will often mark on the owner's things when they are left alone.

If you use time-outs, keep them short and only until the dog calms down - usually between 2-3 minutes.  

It sounds like your pup needs to learn some self-control and patience.  Instead of demanding things, she should be "saying please" for all the good things that happen for her.  Here's an article on how you can implement this:

Please let me know if you have questions about anything I've recommended after reviewing the sites.  Good luck!

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer