Dog Training/aggressive behavior in 5 month old puppy

My 5 month old golden retriever not neutered male, who just recentley went thru obedience training and is doing well,curled his lips and lunged at my boyfriend who was lying on the floor petting him. My puppy did have a washcloth in his mouth, but boyfriend did not try to take it away. This was totally unprovoked. What should I have done in this situation and how can I correct it? Thank you for your expert advise...most appreciative.

Julie, what I think you're seeing here is the beginning of resource guarding.  Please read over this excellent article, follow the suggestions and if you are still having issues, you will need professional help in-person.

You should also teach your dog to drop things on cue.  Here is my favorite technique:

Please let me know if you have follow up questions after reviewing the material. Good luck.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer