Dog Training/dog wont stay outside alone

Question
I have had my dogs since he was 6 weeks old. I fenced the backyard so he could go outside and play and just spend time out side, However I cannot get him to stay out alone. Ever I there something i should be doing so he will go out by himself. Nothing has ever happened that would have made him afraid to do this...He loves being outside but I have to be with him..Should I just try a little time at first to try to get him used to it...

Answer
Hi Becky,

Without more information, I am guessing that your dog, since you obtained him at 6 weeks of age is very bonded to you. The best time to take a puppy away from its litter and bring it into your home is 8 weeks of age. It needs this time to bond to other dogs and learn important social skills from its mother and littermates. Puppies that leave the litter earlier than 8 weeks tend to bond more to people and less with other dogs. I am guessing that your dog simply does not like being away from you.

It is also a misunderstanding on the part of many people that dogs like to play by themselves. While it is important for a dog to learn to self-entertain, most dogs prefer the company of other dogs or people to being alone. They do not care for toys as much as they like the play and interaction that comes with toys. Some dogs are more content to just lie around in the yard and watch the world go by than others.

It is important to understand that although the backyard is a nice place for the dog to hang out safely, your dog should not be left unattended or alone for long periods of time. When I had a fenced in backyard my dogs were never left unattended. I was either outside with them putzing around in the garden or doing yardwork, or I was watching them from inside. Time in the backyard should never be used as a substitute for a walk. Dogs need a minimum of a once daily walk off the property, not just for physical exercise, but for mental stimulation. The walk is a good time to bond with your dog and just share time together.

What I would suggest for you, again without knowing more, is do as you say, try having your dog outside for short periods of time. Create a positive association for him by giving him a tasty bone or stuffed Kong to chew on while he's outside - something that he doesn't get inside. Make sure you do not pair his going outside with anything unpleasant, such as your totally leaving the property. He has already associated his going outside with your leaving.

I would also suggest putting him outside and leaving the backyard unpredictably to go inside, first for very short periods of time and then gradually increasing the time -- but don't continually increase the time so it gets longer and longer. Stay out of sight a few seconds, then closer to a minute, then less than a minute, then two minutes, then 30 seconds, then back to one minute and so on as you gradually increase the time away in an irregular fashion. Also, don't make a big deal about leaving or when you come back into the yard.

Try to find some playmates for your puppy and invite them to play with him in your backyard.

Also, start training him if you haven't already using positive reinforcement/clicker training so that he will be mentally engaged and more satisfied.

I hope these tips help you!

Good luck!

Cindy  

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA