Dog Training/Puppy Training Question

My dog is a seven month old maltese. We have had her for about five months.  We are training her with pee pads, and she will pee on them, but she refuses to poop on them.  My family has tried multiple things and were getting desperate.  She won't, go on the grass pad and we've tried putting her in the crate in another room to poop, and she'll poop on it in there, but the next day she'll poop on the floor again! We have even left the poop under the grate thats above the pad so that she could smell it on there Please we really need some help. Any suggestions are welcome. How can we get her to poop on the pad?

Hi Dana,
Sorry about the delay. I was having email problems and did not get the notification about this message.

Try the following and let me know if you need more help:

Use a separate pad for urine and feces.
Make sure the pad is changed frequently. Sometimes puppies won't go on a soiled pad.
Use a smaller crate without a pad (crates should not be used as potty areas) and take her out more frequently on the pad. Only keep her on there for 3 minutes and then put her back in the crate. Obviously this is something that you can only do if you are home to work with her.

Let me know if you need more suggestions.

Good luck.

Dog Training

Jeff Millman

I studied with Jean Donaldson in San Francisco in 2002. She is one of the foremost dog trainers anywhere and I sought her out and traveled from Chicago to work with her. I am expert in all phases of dog development in regards to training. I can offer advice from young puppies through adult including aggression, separation anxiety and barking. While aggression is often handled best in person by a skilled positive reinforcement trainer, a lot of advice can be spread in this forum. I have written EBooks on separation anxiety and barking and am currently writing a book about dog aggression.

I have been working as a full-time professional dog trainer since 2002. I only use positive reinforcement techniques and am well-versed in using the clicker. My clients do not have to use a clicker to have success using my techniques. I started teaching 14 classes a week for the first two years while I was building up my private practice, Chicago Paws. Since 2004 I have worked exclusively as a private trainer in the Chicago area. On January 1, 2007 I launched an online version of my business that can be viewed at Watch and Train. At you will find streaming videos for purchase that play directly on your computer and cover a variety of specific topics including house training, jumping, come when called, counter surfing and leash walking.

Association of Pet Dog Trainers

Dog training: I graduated with honors from Jean Donaldson's Academy for Dog Trainers in San Francisco, CA. I attended Karen Pryor;s Clicker Expo in Chicago, IL. I attended week-long APDT conferences in Portland Oregon, Orlando, Florida and Oakland, California. I attended a Pat Miller seminar in Chicago, IL. Previous education: Journalism and Fine Arts degree from Indiana University.

You can view references