Dog Training/border collie

I have had my rescue dog for three years and she is good as gold. She likes to round up other dogs but never hurts them. The other day she lunged towards my ygrandson who is two and loo like shemight snap. She also chased him barking when he ran in the garden. What should I do

Thanks for sending your question.

Herding instinct in the Border Collie is really strong, and "herding" children is not an uncommon occurrence. Rather than re-invent the wheel, I am going to send you to visit some BC specific links about your concerns. In addition, you'll want to teach your grandchild how to behave around dogs and some basic safety tips. You may find that and more at my web site: Child safety around dogs || Outlaw Chinooks ||

Border Collie Information:  

A Border Collie Warning

Border Collies and kids  

Border Collie herding children - Google Search (Google search)

If you have questions after looking over the information, please send a follow up. Thanks!

Dog Training

Kathleen A. Riley-Daniels

I am known for my originality, creativity and flexibility in dog training, and I specialize in everything from training and handling skills to behavior challenges. All breeds, personalities and skill levels are welcomed including handlers and/or dogs with physical limitations. I encourages students to work outside their comfort zone for enhanced learning and utilizing skills that best fit the needs of each team. Keeping the focus on fun, play and praise. My enthusiasm for training is contagious and all efforts of both dog and handler are rewarded. If you are looking for assistance in house training or other training areas, please visit my web site or blog first and see if the information there is helpful to you: or or YouTube Channel

I have trained and participated in many canine performance events including obedience, rally obedience, field, herding, tracking, conformation, weight pull, training and judging 4-H, assistance dog training and wrangling for movies. I teach private and group lessons, workshops, seminars, camps, lecture internationally and have written award winning articles for numerous publications. I was voted one of the Twin Cities Top Dog Trainers by the readers of Twin City Tails Magazine, I am a certified in Animal Nutrition, Animal Training and Behavior and am an evaluator for the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen program.

Various local, regional and national breed clubs.

Have worked as an editor, on staff and as a volunteer on a variety of community, local, regional, national and international publications.

College degree and life-long learning with multiple certifications in training, behavior, nutrition and education. I am a life-long learner and I accentuate the positive for both dogs and handlers and my training methods are specifically designed to bring teams to their full potential by customizing training plans and focusing on training exercises that best benefit each individual team.

Voted one of the top trainers in the Twin Cities.