Dog Training/Senior Rottweiler

Hi and thank you in advance for reading this. I am actually a behavior consultant, but wanted to get an outside thought for my dog. She is 10 years old, spayed and extremely social. I have realized too late that my beginning approaches with her had no effect and no am left with a great dog with bad habits. The main cause for frustration is her overly-social demeanor. Which for her breed I am not going to complain, however, it's embarrassing to take her anywhere as her mindset is only on "friends! let's play and see what I can get into!" I have absolutely no problem with her as far as commands go, I just come across as an angry mom because all people are seeing is me trying to make my dog maintain some sense of calm. I have begun sessions in which I reward her for simply laying down and relaxing. These are going great, but I would like additional options as well. I have thought about taking her to people's houses, however the friends that I can take her too are ones that enjoy her being like she is.

Another bad habit is her still getting into the the house or out in the yard.

I'm open to any advice you might have. Thank you.

Greetings, and thank you for contacting All Experts,
Sounds like you have a social butterfly! It's my understanding that every dog she meets she has to go say hello and you would like a bit more control? However, it also sounds like you have no problems as far as commands go, is that correct? Does this mean that if she's trying to go say hello, you are able to re-direct her behavior by asking for an alternate behavior? Or is she ignoring your request for another behavior? So I guess my main question is, what exactly is your goal? Is there a specific target behavior you are trying to achieve? Does this happen on or off leash? Are others trying to tell you to relax more and just let her be? More details on this would be helpful so I can better try to address your concerns. It sounds like you are on the right path with capturing those calm behaviors!

Getting into the garbage is often best addressed through management in my experience. The best advice is to keep the trash out of sight or to invest in a trash can that is dog proof. Alternatively, you can try placing some bricks into the can so it's too heavy for her to knock over. Indoors, try to store your trash in a closet, pantry or in an attached garage. This is a good way to set her up for success, especially for those times when you are not watching and cannot redirect. If you really want to work on the issue and this happens in your presence, have your tried working on the "leave it" command? I look forward to answering more questions and provide further insights/ideas once I obtain some further details. Thanks!  

Dog Training

Adrienne Janet Farricelli CPDT-KA

I can provide advice on training and behavioral problems ranging from minor issues such as potty training to serious issues such as aggression. I cannot give out veterinary advice as this is obviously out of my spectrum, but I may recommend veterinarian visits for behavioral problems that may stem from a possible health problem.

I am a published dog expert writer since 2006 and a certified dog trainer specializing in positive reinforcement training. My favorite specializations are clicker training and the sport of canine freestyle. I also attended various seminars on solving behavioral problems and am the current dog training and dog psychology channel manager for My bookshelves are full of books on dog training, dog breeds, dog care and dog behavior.

CCPDT Certfication Council of Professional Dog Trainers MDSA Musical Dog Sports Association

Suite101 National Examiner USA Today

Certified Dog Trainer APICC Italian Association Professional Dog Trainers and Canine Consultants Certified Dog trainer CPDT-KA Certfication Council of Professional Dog Trainers Dog expert writer since 2006 Previous AAHA animal hospital employee

Over 1100 fans and hundreds of questions answered on my dog blog.