Dog Training/My 2 year old silky terrier pooping in crate

Question
QUESTION: I got my two year old dog 6 months ago, and have done everything to train her to eliminate outside. I bought her the smallest crate you can get. We feed her at 6:00am everyday then take her out side. We put a diaper on her to try to get her to learn to hold it, it was working for awhile but the second it's off she goes on the floor. If we put her in the crate without the diaper she will pee, and poo inside the crate, eat the feces. She has no problem with sitting in it, it doesn't bother her in the least. We give her opportunity to go outside, but can't get her house trained. The vet can't figure out why, and neither can anyone else. Any suggestions will be helpful. Yes she is fixed.

ANSWER: Hello Teja:

I am wondering where she was before you.
The reason is, although it is known dogs will not mess their sleeping area, if a dog has been crated for extended periods and was no longer able to hold it, the result is messing in the crate, once this "Cardinal Rule" of not messing in their sleeping area has been broken, it broken for good.

Another consideration is she has never learnt to hold her pees and poos and can not hold it for any length of time.

If the first seems like a reasonable assumption, then crating will not work.  The alternative then is constant vigilance, and a regular potty break routine needs to be established.  Place food and water down only at set times and watch for time from eating and drinking that she messes, then set-up a routine of getting her outside just before that time arrives and highly praise for going Potty Outside.

If assumption 2 seems a better fit, then going back to a Puppy schedule of every two hours having a Potty Break is the point at which to start, slowly over a month for each hour, increase by an hour a regular feeding schedule is also needed.

A third possible explanation is Stress IE Separation Anxiety.
True Separation Anxiety is rare, it is usually a lack of Leadership (training) and the dog is stressing because the pack is leaving without their Leader.

For Clinical Separation, there are several natural Herbal remedies, such as Rescue Remedy that have been found to be useful.  Also the use of Thunder vests have been beneficial.  There are of course prescription drugs that Vet's can prescribe.

For None Clinical Separation ie Dog is Pack leader and Humans are followers, enrolling in a class with a professional Trainer with a behaviour background would be the best starting point.

QUESTION: Well I think it has lots to do with where she was before. A girl dropped her off, and I paid for the dog. I was lied to about the dog. They sold it saying it was only 8 months old when it was actually almost 2. They said she was newspaper trained. I later found out that the woman sold the dog for drug money, and it wasn't even her dog it was her sisters. I kept the dog knowing it would have a better home with me. I just can't break the bad habits that this dog picked up from the original owners.

Answer
HI Teja:

I would say your going to have to start from the beginning again, with Training and develop a proper relationship, this way you can start fixing the issues.

Here are some notes on Training, that may help Guide you.

Potty/Crate Training
A lot of dog owners feel that crate training puppies is cruel. This thinking is wrong and it prevents them from taking advantage of the best house training tool - a crate.
If you can avoid some common crate training mistakes, your puppy will enjoy the time he spends in his crate.
You see, just like wolves, dogs are den animals. A crate provides them with the same sense of security that a den would have provided them in the wild.
The tricky part about crate training puppies lies in the fact that unless you use a crate correctly, you will not achieve the desired result.
What follows are some tips and suggestions you can use right away. Further down, there is a page where I talk more about crate training your puppy.
So, without wasting any more time, let's review some...
•   The first step in crate training puppies is to decide where to place the crate. Because puppies are social animals, it's best to keep the crate in an area where your family spends a lot of time, but avoid placing it next to air vents or in direct sunlight.
•   Put a soft blanket inside the crate. To make your puppy feel more secure, put the crate next to a wall and cover the sides with a towel. Or get a Crate wear Pet Dreams 3-Piece Complete Crate Bed Set that includes a mattress, padded bumpers and a crate cover.
•   Though buckle collars are generally safe, it's not a good idea to use them when crate training puppies. Why? Because even a flat collar can get stuck between metal bars and injure your puppy.
•   The best time for crate training is when your puppy is hungry, bored, or... both.
•   Never force your pet to enter the crate. If he needs some encouragement, put some of his favourite toys or food inside the crate (from my experience, food works better than toys).

Initially, leave them near the door and leave the crate door open. As your pet becomes more comfortable, you may move the toys further inside his crate.
•   If the above doesn't work, try another approach...

Some puppies get anxious when encouraged to enter the crate but will venture inside on their own if there is an incentive.
•   One of the most difficult parts of crate training puppies is locking your pet in his crate for the first (and second, and third, and... times). Here is a trick I learned a long time ago.

With my dog inside the crate and eating, I lock the door, but only for the duration of his meal. Even if he notices that I locked the door, most likely, he will be too busy eating to express his displeasure. As soon as he finishes eating, I open the door. As you repeat this exercise, keep the door locked a little longer each time.
•   Always praise your puppy for doing things right. Did he just enter his crate for the first time? Or maybe he didn't cry when you locked the door? I am sure you'll agree these milestones deserve some praise and a treat or two!
•   Don't try to accomplish too much too soon. As you begin crate training your puppy, keep the sessions short and gradually increase the training time when your puppy is ready.
•   A crate is the most valuable tool for training puppies. But to get the most benefits out of crate training, your puppy can't associate his crate with anything negative. So, never use it for punishment.
Housebreaking your new puppy is going to take patience. You should begin to housebreak as soon as you bring your new puppy home. Puppies need to relieve themselves approximately six times a day. A puppy should be taken out immediately after each meal since a full stomach puts pressure on the colon and bladder.
A puppy is not physically able to control the muscle that allows him to "hold it" until he is about 12 weeks of age. Before this time, good housebreaking routines should be practiced to avoid having your puppy urinate and defecate all over your house. Watch for signs of urination or defecation, such as turning in circles. Take your puppy out often. Using a crate or confining your puppy to a small part of the house that has easy clean up floors are some ways to ensure your puppy does not urinate all over your house. It is much harder to housebreak a puppy if he smells is urine in places you do not wish him to relief himself.
There are many different methods in which you can housebreak your pet, however I find Crate training the most effective. Whichever way you choose, it is important to understand your puppy. Dogs want to please; the trick is to make them understand what it is you want from them.
Dogs do not think the way humans do. When you are unhappy with your dog, it assumes that whatever it is doing at the exact moment you show disapproval - is the thing that is upsetting you.
For example:
If your puppy relieves himself on your floor and you show your disapproval five minutes after he has committed the act, the puppy will think that the mess on the floor is bad. He will not relate to the fact that it was the act of relieving himself on your floor that you disapprove of. The dog will eliminate, see the mess and get worried; you are now going to be unhappy. This is the reason so many dogs will relieve themselves in inappropriate places and look really guilty about it, yet they continue to do it. Dogs want to please, right?
Some owners start to think that their dog is being sneaky when really it does not fully understand what it is doing wrong. It knows the mess upsets you but does not understand that it should stop "making" the mess. To your dog, these two things: "the mess" and "the act" are unrelated.
The trick is to catch your dog in the act and make him understand. You do not need to hit your dog. The tone of your voice is enough to make the dog see you are unhappy.
A firm "Eh! Or other correction sound.  You are not allowed to go in the house. “Eh!” or other correction sound is all that is needed.
Immediately take your dog outside to the appropriate place. Wait for your dog to go again and when and if he does, praise him. Important: Always praise your dog after he eliminates in the appropriate place.
Crate Training Caution:
Before you crate train, please be aware: a dog that is left in a crate all day long, gets let out in the evening after work for a few hours and put back in the crate for the night can become neurotic, destructive, unhappy and noisy.
If you work all day, it is recommended that you find someone who can take your dog out for a long walk in the afternoon. If this is not possible only use the crate at night.
If you must leave your dog all day long every day and you have nobody to let the dog out during the day, you should find a room without a rug, put down Pooch Pads Reusable Housebreaking Pads, food, water and toys.
You should set up the room so that the bed and food are at one end and the pee pads at the other. Spread the toys in the center of the room. Dogs are not fish. They need to find something to occupy their mind, so give your dog plenty of toys. It is said that dogs are den animals and like the crate, but even a den animal would go crazy if it was lock up all day long.
You must be willing to invest time and energy for just a few short weeks in housetraining. The effort you put in now will last for the rest of your pet's life.
The crate training method is as follows. Buy a crate and for the first 3 to 4 weeks keep your puppy in it when you are not with him. Make sure the crate is not too big. It should be large enough for the puppy's bed, but no larger. Dogs do not want to soil their bed and the use of a crate teaches them to control their urge to eliminate.
You must maintain an eagle eye at all times. As soon as you see him pacing, sniffing around, and turning in circles, immediately take him outside. He is telling you "I am going to go pee pee somewhere, and this carpet looks like as good a place as any." NO, you do not have time to put on your shoes, just go.
Be patient and do not rush the little guy. He may have to go several times in one "pit stop." Give him about 10 minutes before taking him back inside. Do not play with him while you are on this mission. Let him know this is a business trip.
Make sure you take him out after every meal and play session BEFORE you put him back in his crate. Be consistent and establish a schedule. Pay attention to your puppy's behaviour so you can develop a schedule that works for you and the pup. When does your puppy naturally defecate? In the morning? 10 minutes after eating? Around bedtime? You may have to make some compromises.
Be fair to your puppy. He cannot be expected to stay alone in his crate for endless hours and not relieve himself. During your work days, you will need to have someone go to your home at least once (lunch time is good) to let the puppy out. Take him for a long walk. Your dog is not a fish and he needs something to occupy his mind.
Make sure everyone who is involved in the housebreaking process is using the same spot in the yard and the same word. Everyone should agree on the place they will take the puppy. The odour from the previous visits will cause the puppy to want to go in that spot.
Use a simple word like "Potty/Weewees" when taking your puppy to the chosen spot. Use this word consistently and later this word will help build communication between the family and the dog. When you notice him going toward the door and you say "Potty" he can say "Yup, that’s where I need to go," or, "Forget it. I am getting back up on the couch for some shut eye."
Until your puppy is about 5 months old you will need to take him out frequently and keep that eagle eye on him. But before you know it, you are going to be able to trust and communicate with your new pet. And he will learn that when he pleases you by going out to do his business, he gets more freedom in the house.

The Use of a Marker
Everywhere you read about Dog Training you’ll see that
TIMING & CONSISTENCY are mentioned.
TIMING is referring to the timing of your MARKER.
A MARKER is a sound that let’s your dog know they just did the right thing and a reward is coming.
CONSISTENCY means you use the same word/sound/command/hand signal and that your Rules are always the same.

Animal trainers for years have used a MARKER, be it a whistle or a word for Dolphins, Whales, Bears, Elephants or Lions.
I am sure most of you have heard of Clicker Training which is becoming more and more popular with dog owners and trainers, but the Clicker still falls into the MARKER Category.
It is still a sound that let’s your dog know they just did the right thing and a reward is coming.
However, after 25 years of teaching people how to train their dogs, I know that having that CLICKER to hand at all times, just does not happen.  You said Sit, your dog did and now you are patting your pockets trying to find the Clicker, the moment for Marking has past and thus the opportunity to confirm your dog just did the right thing.
What you always have to hand is your VOICE, as a marker is a sound, you could just as easily use your voice over a Clicker or Whistle.
So what sound do you make……………………..
As it’s natural to say YES, when something is right, YES would be the obvious choice for us humans, but we want that sound to be just for our dogs, so they know each time they hear it, it was solely directed at them.
So I suggest we say “YESSSSSSS”, unless of course you go around saying YESSSSSS, to others, which in this day and age is unlikely, with all our slang of Yep’s, and OK’s.
YESSSS also falls into how dogs understand sounds, the Y is a little high squeaky in tone, therefore Praise/Play sound, the nice long SSSSSSS, makes it very different from YES.
Try it say “YES” now say “YESSSSSS”.
Timing of this MARKER is very important, you need to issue it the very second you get the correct behaviour.
The better you are at MARKING the faster your dog learns behaviours.
I must add here I do love clicker training, BUT, only for those handler’s/owner’s who are proficient and confident and know to have that Clicker handy and are great at timing its use.  A skill, that comes with time and practice.

Teaching Boundaries
On the surface, a trainer’s job may look fairly simple, but there are components to our profession that often get overlooked. While teaching dogs to sit, lie down or come when called is relatively simple, taking care of the underlying relationship between our clients and their dogs can prove more complex.
Many of the calls coming into the offices of trainers all across the country have an underlying thread. The way most trainers see it, dog owners everywhere seem to have a difficult time gaining and keeping their dog’s respect. The clients may see it differently – as dogs that run away, growl over their food bowls, chew the furniture and bark endlessly.
Many of these difficulties can be corrected by implementing some basic guidelines, and showing clarity and consistency. So why is it that when faced with these solutions, many dog owners simply fall apart?
BOUNDARIES AND CONSISTENCY
I believe that most of these owners see their dogs as the providers of unconditional love and feel compelled to give the same back by giving in to their dog’s every whim and desire. They then end up with a dog that jumps on everyone who enters the home, barks incessantly for attention, or can’t be moved off the couch. While their families see their doting as love, the dog may view it in a whole different light.
Given the choice, I think that most dogs would prefer to have boundaries and consistency. To be able to use their brain and become involved in activities such as sports or tricks is probably high up on their wish list. Most of these dogs would love to learn something, anything. Providing a consistent leadership role is one of the best things you can do for your dog.
FOLLOW THE LEADER
Dogs seem to fall into a few different categories. One is the dog that wants the job of leader and is inadvertently given the job by his family. This dog rules the roost. He sits in “his” armchair and if moved will let out a little growl. At this point, the family will designate his area as off-limits to family and guests. They will make up excuses for his behaviour, such as “That is Buffy’s spot and he will growl if you wake him, so it is best to leave him sleeping.” This family will more than likely live in harmony with this dog for the rest of his life. In all likelihood there will be no problems because there will be no confrontation. This is not the way most of us choose to live with our dogs.
WHO RULES THE ROOST?
Then there is the dog that would like to rule the roost, but whose family is well aware of the consequences of such behaviour. This is like my Bordeaux, ‘Saphira.’ She would love the role of leader, and is quite capable of the job. She has tested me for the past 4 years and has yet to win. One of my household rules for the dogs is that they have four paws on the ground unless invited onto the couch or your lap. Saphira will often creep up onto anything that gives her a bit of height, including the bottom steps of staircases, or a favourite chair in the window of our home. As I tell her to get down from her perch, she brings a smile to my face because she can’t seem to win the game. We have a fabulous relationship, but she sure does keep me on my toes.
Then we come to a category of dogs that seem to be becoming more common. These dogs do not want the job of leader, and quite frankly aren’t up for the job. Once they assess their families and find that no one else has stepped up to the plate, they slowly discover it will be up to them to guide their family.
Because these dogs often lack self-confidence, very clear direction is helpful to them. These are the dogs that may lunge out at other dogs on a walk. While they may not be aggressive, it is human reaction to punish the dog for this display of behaviour and of course, this only leads to more insecurity.
CONSEQUENCES
Instilling boundaries and guidelines seems to give these dogs a better understanding of what type of behaviour will get them the best outcome. They will soon learn that they get attention if they keep off the furniture (if that is one of your rules), or that if they pay attention to you instead of other dogs while out on a walk, they may get a treat or a game of fetch when they get to the destination.
Dogs seem to be less stressed when the family takes on the leadership role. Understandably, it is the same with people. We are less stressed, more productive and happier knowing the rules, and the consequences of playing outside those boundaries.
In my experience, dogs living with no rules make up a fair percentage of family pets. The client may call because their dog is lunging at other dogs, but the primary underlying problem is usually lack of rules and boundaries in the home. These dogs see no leadership happening. They begin to feel comfortable in the home and there are often no problems indoors, but once they hit the great outdoors they discover that the job of leader has been left to them. It must be quite a difficult discovery to feel that you are on your own, in charge, and don’t have the skills to do the job.
PLAY BY THE RULES
Instilling rules and boundaries is a good way to show your dog that you are consistent. Have a family meeting to decide what rules you will adopt, post them on the refrigerator door and stick to them. Rules such as your dog having his own bed rather than your furniture, staying away from the table while the family is eating, and not barging out the door, are just a few that may pertain to your family. Each family will be different.
Giving out everything for free is not the best answer. Make sure your dog does something before you dish out treats, toys and praise. Even a sit-stay will suffice in the beginning. The dogs that have trouble later on are often those whose families give out lavish amounts of attention simply because their dog is cute. We all think our dogs are fabulous, but let’s try to keep that our little secret!
It is best to do what is right for your dog, rather than what feels good to you. This will help keep a balance and a communication that will lead to a respectful relationship. By taking the lead, you are not taking away from the bond you have with your dog. On the contrary, you will add to that bond tenfold once the respect becomes mutual.

Communicating with Dogs
How do dogs communicate?
Dogs communicate by Scent, Body Language and Sound in that order.  We Humans communicate by Sound, Body Language and well as for scent, we know Mum’s cooking Beef Stew, our dogs know that it’s a pot of Beef, Water, salt, garlic, potatoes, carrots, onions etc.  Their scenting abilities far out ways ours, but we need to know and understand that scent is their first and foremost method of communication.
For example dog trainers and professional handlers have known for years that whatever you are feeling goes down the leash to your dog. Well now science has now confirmed that, in that our pheromones Scent changes dependant on our moods.  Science can not yet tell the level of that mood but agrees that our dogs can smell the slightest change in the level of our moods.  For example your dog knows from across the room if that lottery ticket you are looking at is for $50, $500, or $5,000 or if you just hit the jackpot and won millions, without a sound or movement, you dog will realise that your level of joy has increased, just by the change in your pheromones i.e. scent.
So scent is an important part in working with dogs.  Thus the use of treats for training, the scent of the treat gains your dogs attention, the more they like the scent, the more focused they will be on what you are trying to get them to do.  For example a small piece of Rollover, gets their attention, but something else around them is happening and the scent of the Rollover is not enough to focus them on you, so you bring out their next level of favourite treat let’s say it’s cheese, now that distraction is not strong enough to distract them from you as you now have cheese a scent they know and like more than Rollover.
A dog barks furiously at the window, no amount of shouting seems to get through to him, yet you wave a piece of cheese in front of his nose and he immediately turns towards you.  So scent is a major component of working with dogs.
Your scent is crucial, i.e. your mood.  If you are anxious, nervous, angry your dog may not know why, but knows something is wrong at that moment and reacts to that.  A classic example of that is a dog that reacts at the sight of another dog on the walk.  Your dog would have smelt that dogs approach before you saw him, but he’s reacting at the sight of it, because you just saw it and thought “Oh No he’s going to act up again here comes another dog”, your scent changed, your dog reacted.  OR You’ve entered a dog competition, Agility, Confirmation etc, you felt fine happy confident until it’s your turn in the ring, you get nervous or anxious and your previously calm contented dog starts to act-up, because your scent just changed.
Now some dogs use their nose more, because of breed traits or are just proficient using their nose, some dogs do loose this main ability, but they all had it working full out when born, because that’s the only way for them to find their mother’s teat and feed.  All dogs are born Blind and Deaf, their ears and eyes do not start to open until about 3 weeks.  So their first view of their new world is by scent.  We humans are born with full hearing and our eyes though open, do not focus well as yet.  So here lies the main difference in how we as Humans and Dogs communicate.
What’s Body Language
Body language includes how we stand, use of hand signals, footwork and facial expressions.
Too be effective you need to know about dog’s body language, what those different stances mean, how the ears are positioned, what the tail is doing.  A common misconception is a dog that is wagging his tail is happy, this is not always so.  Dogs move their tails in different patterns, often hard for us as humans to see, but other dogs of the same breed easily recognise these differences.  Dogs of other breeds notice common threads, but may confuse a tail signal, as it’s not familiar to them.  I.E. Dogs with cropped tails, dogs with long fur on their tails etc, can affect the viewing of the message the tail is giving.  The same goes for ears, so dogs that are well socialized with different breeds as puppies learn that tail and ear signals can give mixed messages, and thus would rely on Scent and the rest of the body stance and even the use of sound to fully interpret the message being given.
With so many different breeds, thus so many different tail and ear shapes and sizes, dogs will rely on what the rest of the body is doing, to confirm what the body language means.
So what are the basics that dogs use that we can interpret?
Standing tall and square, making the body appear as big as it can be, is a way of declaring you are Large and In Charge, very confident, self assured.
Making yourself as small as possible, means you are unsure, afraid, and not confident.
Our dogs see us moving around all day, and thus know that confident stance and that unsure stance, our scent at these times confirms their interoperation of these positions.
What about hand signals and footwork
Well, this is part and parcel or an adjustment to the reading of ears and tails and also comes down to the selective breeding we did down from the original wolves to the many breeds we have today.  We selectively breed those that watched us all of us, not just our overall body language but all those other appendages we have.  A recent study also proved that Dogs are the only species to recognise how we use our eyes, even our closest genetic cousin the great apes cannot make the association that if our eyes are closed we cannot see, but dogs can and do, notice and connect this.
The other part that ties in with hand signals and foot work is to do with sound, as our sound can be inconsistent and the moving of a hand/arm/foot/leg is more consistent.
So what is sound all about?
First and foremost is for you to acknowledge that dogs do not learn to speak or understand any human language what so ever.  They are not sitting because you said did, they are sitting because when you made that sound and they put their bum on the floor you rewarded the behaviour.  This statement also lets you know why your dog sometimes does not sit on command, he/she has yet to learn that the sound you just made also means Sit, and here is where hand signals come into play, they recognise the hand signal but not the sound, and therefore rely on the body language (hand signal) to interoperate the sound.  A reason why, dogs respond to hand signals and footwork, better than voice commands.  As your voice, sound, tone may change when saying Sit, your hand signal remains the same.
So here are the basics on sound; dogs have sounds that indicate a mood or need.  The Bark, The Growl, The Whine.
So we need to understand that our sound i.e. tone needs to match what we are communicating by scent and body language.  
The Growl when issued by a dog is a warning or correction sound tone it is Low, Deep and quiet, so when you want your dog to know you do not approve and or unhappy or angry your tone needs to be Low, Deep and quiet from your normal everyday tone.
The Deep Bark a warning or alerting tone.
The High Pitched Bark means excitement or an invitation to play and/or overall happiness.
I am sure you have all noticed these different types of sounds coming from dogs, even the smallest dog can issue a low deep tone of warning for his/her size.  In larger breeds is it more distinct change in tone between happy let’s play bark or back away warning bark.
So we as humans need to match our tone to our message.  A very common mistake we make and one that is natural for us as humans to do, is raise our voices when angry, shout or yell, what you need to understand in this case that as Humans when we do this we actually go up an octave from our normal speaking tone and our dogs excellent hearing picks this up.  
A classic example is – You find your dog shredding the couch – You get angry (scent), you bend towards the dog (unsure, or even play invitation), You way a finger or shake a fist (rapid irregular movement invitation to play), you shout or yell (you go up an octave from normal tone – Praise or Play tone).
Now if you communicated by scent, body language and sound, what you would smell is anger, what you see and here is lets play, confusing isn’t it.  And that’s the look your dogs gives you, not one of guilt but one of appeasement, Calm down your not making sense are you mad or do you want to play.
When you match your sound and body language to your scent, your dog can understand what you are trying to communicate with him/her.  

Dog Training

The Dog Nanny