Dog Training/aggresion toward children

Two weeks ago I picked up a 3 year old non-neutered male basset hound. My 9 year old son likes to play with him and now on 2 occations in the last 2 days the dog has become aggressive and lunged/barked, growled at him. Is it do to my son being to aggressive or the dog? will neutering help? or do I just find the dog a non-child home? I am heart broken with the choice of giving him up but I also need to protect my child. Please help!

Nuetering at this point generally will not make a difference since the dog has matured. The dog is not recognizing your son as the "alpha male". If you cannot change this quickly I would not chance it around a child. If you cannot correct this immediately by letting your son walk the dog o a leash and by making the dog do a down and stay and letting your son walk around him in circles then it would be apparent that the dog will not change his disposition. If the dog acts aggressively you need to hold the dog down, gently but firmly until it submits. If this does not work I would not chance it.

Dog Training

Chris Cantrell

Typically answer questions about basic obedience and search and rescue training for any types/breeds of dogs. I DO NOT answer questions regarding any health related issues. I DO NOT PROMISE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS OTHER THAN THE AREAS I HAVE LISTED. If you are going to ask a question I do expect to get sufficient information. I cannot make any promises that I can answer your question if it is a behavioral issue because you have to be around the animal to properly evaluate what the animal is or is not doing so do not expect a miracle through email.

Chief of local rescue squad. I have 2 trained K-9's. One is trained for live, cadaver and HRD. The second is trained for live search and in training currently for cadaver and HRD. Formerly trained Police K-9's for Patrol, protection and Narcotics.

Alabama Association of Rescue Squads, North American Search Dog Alliance

NASAR, AARS, Alabama Fire College