Dog Training/Fear in my dog

Baggio wrote at 2013-10-14 09:03:12
The poor thing...this, I think is a classical case of trauma? It's unfortunate, but it'll take some time for her to reinstate her faith in you. I'm not sure how long ago this was?

This certainly does sound like fear aggression to me, have you tried just hugging her tightly whenever she sees a dog? Maybe she needs to feel protected, because that trauma has left a mark in her and she shows aggression simply as a reflex, not because she's actively being aggressive. If you want to try this, I'd also suggest that a male partner does this, since she's female.

I'm not so sure about the water squirting tip you heard from the trainer. Doesn't that just serve to increase her aggression? I'm not into these types of methods for dog training, it's like sprinkling salt on a wound to's painful to watch, and even more painful to do.

Another thing that you might want to try is to do something that she loves. For instance, does she love playing ball? Does she love a certain treat? Does she really dote on a home made meal, a recipe you have? If she does, you might want to use that to distract her attention enough to draw her away from showing that aggression out of fear from other dogs.

Of course, this REALLY has to be something that she LOVES, or else, she'll not pay attention to you. It's the whole "avoid pain" versus "gain pleasure" - almost all dogs will prioritize the former, and not the latter - your job is to have the latter overcome the former. Make sure to get something she loves!

For more information on this, I have a website that splits up dog behavioral problems into six categories, one of which is aggression. If you're interested, you might want to check it out and see if it's helpful.

Here's a link:

Good luck and hope this helps!

Dog Training

The Dog Nanny

Any Training or Behviour questions in regards to dogs.

Over 25 years as Certified Professional Dog Training Instructor and Certified Canine Behaviourist.

Canadain Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers International Positive Dog Training Association Canadain Kennel Club Therapeautic Paws Of Canada

NuBowWow CAPPDT News Letter Happy Dog Connections

Certified Professional Dog Training Instructor Certified Canine Behaviourist Accredited Dog Trainer Director of Evaluators TPOC Certified Therapy Dog & Cat Evaluator Certified Canine Good Neighbour Evaluator

Certificates of Appreciation from various local organisations for Volunteer work as Guest Speaker on the subject of Dogs, Dogs & Children, Canine Behaviour, Mentor, Therapy Dog Programs etc