Dog Training/Potty training puppy

Question
We have a 7 yr old Golden Retriever Therapy Dog and a 4 month old Golden puppy which we have had for 2 months. We have a deck with stairs that go down to the grass and a gate at the bottom. We leave them down in the grass 95% of the time so the puppy will continue to poop and pee in the grass. But when we let them up on the deck, the puppy still has accidents on the deck, even though she is used to going in the grass. This is very frustrating for us. We have used vinegar, ammonia, dog repellant spray on the deck,but nothing works. How can we get her to not do this, and to go down the stairs to the grass? Will she eventually get this? How to deal with this...please give suggestions ASAP! Thanks!!!

Answer
Training a puppy is very time consuming. You have to be consistent in order for the dog to learn. You cannot just put the dog outside and expect that they will learn where to go. After a dog eats or when they wake up they will generally want to go to the bathroom. This is when you have to take them outside and use a catch phrase like go potty, etc. Once you begin to do this you have to follow this rigorously. If the dog goes where you do not want then you have to scold them (not harshly or they will just hide and do it) and then take them out and wait until they do it in the yard.  

Dog Training

Chris Cantrell