Dog Training/house training

My dad stole a dog. For good reason.

The owner kept this dog (a corgi mix) changed to a tree outside the entire summer. My dad went to this person's house and used bolt cutters top cut the chain off and bright the dog home. This dog is estimated to be about ten years old.

He pees and poos in the house so my dad built a large pen outside for him. My question is is it possible to ever house train a dog this old? He is also very food aggressive.

You could try and crate train him. I would take him outside every few hours. He's spent his life living in and around his own feces and urine, so he's probably going to be a challenge. Don't allow him any free access in the house unless you are supervising. Any time you see him sniffing the ground, whisk him outside.

The food aggression will be a challenge as well. Feed as much as possible from your hands instead of a food bowl. Never attempt to take his food away or you will lose his trust entirely. When he is eating, walk by and drop or toss a couple of treats into the bowl. He'll start to anticipate you moving toward his bowl rather than fearing you're going to take it away.

Let me know if you have further questions or comments. Good luck.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer