Dog Training/Dogs name

Question
QUESTION: Good afternoon we've recently purchased a lagotto puppy. Who is eight weeks old. We ran into some training questions and are hoping you might be able to provide some insight.
Do you agree after we feed him to put him in the cage for 30 minutes and then take them out?
When we are home how often should he be in the crate and how long to play with?
He whines during the day when we are home and he's in the crate what should we do?
Best way to introduce Leash he's  wearing his collar just fine
And when should we take his first bath and when should be introduced to the groomer?
How much is too much holding and playing?
And heard Bestway training dog on leash is umbilical training which have the leash on you and walk with him do you agree?
When he pees should he be allowed to explore a little question

Dilena

ANSWER: Thanks for your questions, Dilena. I'll try to answer most of them and direct you to some good online information as a supplement.

I'm not sure why you would put the dog in a cage for 30 minutes after feeding. I think the crate is a great place to feed the dog, so I would use it for that purpose. Offer the pup his meal and remove him when he's done or after 15 minutes.

He should get used to being in the crate even when you are home. This is where he should take his naps. Ignore all whining.

When he's active in the house, be sure you are monitoring closely. Take him out every 20 minutes while he is awake. Give him plenty of time to relieve himself outside. Don't bring him back in after the first time he pees.

Puppies shouldn't be bathed frequently unless they get really dirty. But, you should get them used to being in the tub, being on a table for grooming and for the vet's office, and be familiar with all the tools - brush, nail clippers, scissors, etc.  Make all of these introductions positive and pair them with high value food or treats he really likes.

Yes, let him explore outside on a leash, but don't allow any pulling. When he pulls, simply stop and wait for him to realize he's not going anywhere until the leash slackens. Doing this now will make leash walking easier when he's an adult and much stronger.

For a great online resource, go to www.dogstardaily.com and look for the "Training Textbook" on the upper row of menu options. Plenty of great puppy information that will help you.

QUESTION: Thanks so much for your quick reply. Just a couple questions how much time should we playing with him when we are home and is it okay to hold him while sitting on couch? As far as leash we placed it on him to just use around house and he bites it. And is it okay to leave the collar on him all day or should we take it off?

Answer
Play with him when he's awake and active. Be sure to always have a toy to redirect mouthing and biting. Stop play before he gets over-aroused and rough.

If you want to allow him on the couch as an adult dog, then it's OK to hold him there now. Be sure this is something you want when he's a full grown dog.

Don't put the leash on him in the house, but do leave his collar on.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP