Dog Training/Swimming training

I know this may sound ridiculous but we have two maltese that can't swim, or aren't confident in the water. They're both between 5-8 kg and are almost four. We've been trying to get them used to water for a while now and one (Lily) can swim but is still afraid and the other (Sugar) flounders around until someone helps her. We have bought them life jackets and are yet to try them out but have you got any tips that could help us. Not many websites have info on how to help a dog get over a phobia of water, only on how to teach them to swim. My sister (10) and I (13) have been trying to teach them, so if possible could your information be child friendly.
Thank you so much

Hello Ruby:

I would say just keep encouraging them into the water.  Holds them in your arms, so they feel safe.  Getting feet wet to start, then moving deeper as they calm/setttle down.

Lots of praise and treats for when they are calming down and relaxing.

Life Jackets are a Must, not all breeds are good swimmers.
Please also realise, dogs will drink, swallow the water, so natural clean water is best, no chlorine.

Chlorine can damage their insides and is not good for their skin.

If your pool is Chlorine, make sure they are not swallowing or drinking the water and rinse their coats thoroughly after a swim.  

Dog Training

The Dog Nanny

Any Training or Behviour questions in regards to dogs.

Over 25 years as Certified Professional Dog Training Instructor and Certified Canine Behaviourist.

Canadain Association of Professional Pet Dog Trainers International Positive Dog Training Association Canadain Kennel Club Therapeautic Paws Of Canada

NuBowWow CAPPDT News Letter Happy Dog Connections

Certified Professional Dog Training Instructor Certified Canine Behaviourist Accredited Dog Trainer Director of Evaluators TPOC Certified Therapy Dog & Cat Evaluator Certified Canine Good Neighbour Evaluator

Certificates of Appreciation from various local organisations for Volunteer work as Guest Speaker on the subject of Dogs, Dogs & Children, Canine Behaviour, Mentor, Therapy Dog Programs etc