Dog Training/Help with my moodle puppy

I have a kelpie puppy (8weeks old) at home and she is very playful.
Today I bought a moodle puppy (9weeks old) and he doesn't seem to like the kelpie
When they play the kelpie will try to dominate him and so he growls and viciously snarls at her.
It's terrifying to hear as the moodle is so much smaller than kelpie.
Is it just a dominance thing? Will it end? Or are they just not good together?
Please help ASAP

Thanks for your question, Alisha. I'm not certain what a moodle is, but I'll assume a toy poodle mix since you said it was a small dog. It will take the pups a few days to get to know each other. Don't force them to be together just yet. Let them get to know each other through baby gates and possibly walks on leash together. The smaller dog is obviously frightened by the size of the kelpie, so the growling is to warn her off. Don't allow the small dog to be overwhelmed or it may cause a lifetime of fearfulness with other dogs.

Getting 2 puppies of the same age is rarely a good idea. Since they aren't a good match in size and won't be in play style, you might think of returning one while it can still be rehomed.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer