Dog Training/dog bullying other dog

I have a 5 year old hound and recently rescued a pit bull mix. The pit bull mix is now almost a year old and has really started to bully the hound who is very soft. I always thought that older dogs would put the youngsters into place but the hound just lets him get away with everything. I mean everything. Hound sniffs an area, pitbull pushes him to sniff it all. Pit bull obsessively pees over hound's pee. Greeting us turns into a scuffle, as pit bull mix doesn't want the hound anywhere near us. Feeding time, hound eats a bit but when pit bull mix is done, lets him finish up his meals. I was reading how dog packs are fluid and there's no absolute alpha, but this pit bull seems to win it all. Can it be possible? I feel a very big unbalance. I am at my wits end and feel bad for the hound at times who has the patience of a saint. Are there any solutions other than re-homing? thank you for your time.

Your younger dog needs some obedience training and learning to wait for good things, instead of demanding them. Find a local positive reinforcement trainer who does classes or even private sessions. If you're near Phoenix or Tucson, I can help with that. He needs to be under control and responsive to your cues. He needs to learn a solid wait/stay and he should practice that before he gets your attention, food, walks, etc. Read this article for more ideas:

Feed the dogs separately. Each dog needs a private area to eat without being disturbed by the other.

Provide the younger dog with plenty of opportunities for physical exercise and be sure the older dog gets quality one-on-one time with you.

Let me know if you have further comments, questions or would like a referral to a trainer in your area.

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP

I can answer questions related to problem dog behaviors, teaching polite manners, puppy raising, and any type of training-related issues. My website page, offers a wealth of information on training and behavior issues as well.

I've been training dogs since 1989 and own and operate Distinctive Dog Training LLC in Keller TX. I specialize in providing practical and positive solutions for families through personalized training in their home.

Karen Pryor Academy Certified Training Partner
Victoria Stilwell Positively! Licensed Trainer
Association of Pet Dog Trainers
Association of Animal Behavior Professionals
Truly Dog Friendly Coalition

BS in Education
Graduate work in Behavioral Psychology
Karen Pryor Academy Dog Training Program
Certified Professional Dog Trainer