Dog Training/Excited to meet other dogs

Question
Hi there.

I want to know what I should do when I walk my dog and she speeds up because another dog is approacing us. I've heard and read many times that I shouldn't pull the leash to keep her in her place, because that just make her more 'excited'. I want to make her calmly meet and greet toget dogs...
What should I do?

Answer
This all goes back to distraction training and working on a lead. You have to teach the animal not to pull. You can begin by turning the opposite direction and let it pull on the dog's leash. When the dog sees that you are going the other way they will say "oh, we are going this way". Try this to begin with.

Dog Training

Chris Cantrell