Dog Training/Excited to meet other dogs

Hi there.

I want to know what I should do when I walk my dog and she speeds up because another dog is approacing us. I've heard and read many times that I shouldn't pull the leash to keep her in her place, because that just make her more 'excited'. I want to make her calmly meet and greet toget dogs...
What should I do?

This all goes back to distraction training and working on a lead. You have to teach the animal not to pull. You can begin by turning the opposite direction and let it pull on the dog's leash. When the dog sees that you are going the other way they will say "oh, we are going this way". Try this to begin with.

Dog Training

Chris Cantrell

Typically answer questions about basic obedience and search and rescue training for any types/breeds of dogs. I DO NOT answer questions regarding any health related issues. I DO NOT PROMISE TO ANSWER QUESTIONS OTHER THAN THE AREAS I HAVE LISTED. If you are going to ask a question I do expect to get sufficient information. I cannot make any promises that I can answer your question if it is a behavioral issue because you have to be around the animal to properly evaluate what the animal is or is not doing so do not expect a miracle through email.

Chief of local rescue squad. I have 2 trained K-9's. One is trained for live, cadaver and HRD. The second is trained for live search and in training currently for cadaver and HRD. Formerly trained Police K-9's for Patrol, protection and Narcotics.

Alabama Association of Rescue Squads, North American Search Dog Alliance

NASAR, AARS, Alabama Fire College