Dog Training/Shitzu

Question
I have two 2 year old Shitzu's that are male and were liter mates.  I am having a problem with them pottying in the house at random.  They have been trained and are let out frequently.  They have never learned to ask to go out by barking.  If they have to go and no one sees them standing at the door they will go somewhere in the house.  At first this was just their business; however,recently they have urinated in the house twice.  I have had many dogs and never experienced this problem.  One of the boys has a problem being crated and gets hysterical and messes all over the crate and injures himself so possibly I stopped crating them too soon.

Answer
Thanks for your email, Bonnie. Teach the dogs to ring a bell to notify you that they have to go out.  Here's an excellent step-by-step on how to do this: :  http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/virtual-pet-behaviorist/dog-behavior/teaching-your

Instead of crating them when you can't monitor them, set up a "safe room" where they've never pottied - like a laundry room or small bathroom and close it off with a baby gate. If you have the room in your home, you could also get an exercise pen for confinement. Many dogs that don't do well in crates are fine with ex-pens.

Please let me know if you have any questions after looking over the bell article. The key will be to not allow them the opportunity to make mistakes for at least 3 weeks before allowing them freedom again in the house. Good luck!

Dog Training

Barb Gadola, CPDT-KA, KPA CTP