Dog Training/Puppy suddenly no longer housebroken

We have a 18 week old Black Lab puppy that was abandoned on the side of the road that we've had for the last 11 weeks. He was doing VERY well with housebreaking, would bark to let us know he had to go outside to potty, and the only accidents inside were our faults (He'd bark, I'd say "You were just out, you don't have to go again!", and he'd potty, which was my error in not listening to him).

I took him to doggy day care last week, and since then, he's barking to go outside, where he'll just stand and sniff for 15-20 minutes and not go potty, and then inside, some time later, will just find a towel and potty, and not even 'tell' anyone he's got to go out. The -only- thing that changed was him going to daycare for 1 day, and suddenly we're having these problems.

I was wondering if this is common, and how we go about fixing this.

Thanks for asking! Yes, this is pretty common and as long as pup is healthy, the solution is simple too. You'll want to reinforce your potty training by doing it all over again so pup retains the information. I've included a link to potty training and crate training information on my web site to help you. Let me know how you and pup do.

General information and tips are here:
Potty Training Basics:
Crate Training:

Good luck and let me know how it works out.  

Dog Training

Kathleen A. Riley-Daniels

I am known for my originality, creativity and flexibility in dog training, and I specialize in everything from training and handling skills to behavior challenges. All breeds, personalities and skill levels are welcomed including handlers and/or dogs with physical limitations. I encourages students to work outside their comfort zone for enhanced learning and utilizing skills that best fit the needs of each team. Keeping the focus on fun, play and praise. My enthusiasm for training is contagious and all efforts of both dog and handler are rewarded. If you are looking for assistance in house training or other training areas, please visit my web site or blog first and see if the information there is helpful to you: or or YouTube Channel

I have trained and participated in many canine performance events including obedience, rally obedience, field, herding, tracking, conformation, weight pull, training and judging 4-H, assistance dog training and wrangling for movies. I teach private and group lessons, workshops, seminars, camps, lecture internationally and have written award winning articles for numerous publications. I was voted one of the Twin Cities Top Dog Trainers by the readers of Twin City Tails Magazine, I am a certified in Animal Nutrition, Animal Training and Behavior and am an evaluator for the American Kennel Club's Canine Good Citizen program.

Various local, regional and national breed clubs.

Have worked as an editor, on staff and as a volunteer on a variety of community, local, regional, national and international publications.

College degree and life-long learning with multiple certifications in training, behavior, nutrition and education. I am a life-long learner and I accentuate the positive for both dogs and handlers and my training methods are specifically designed to bring teams to their full potential by customizing training plans and focusing on training exercises that best benefit each individual team.

Voted one of the top trainers in the Twin Cities.