Dog Training/GSD will not swim

Question
Hi Cindy, we have a 4 year old German Shepherd that we got at 6 Months old, that was (alas) never introduced to water; we have an inground pool with a 5 foot section that is only a foot then it cliffs down to 3 feet and graduates to 5 feet. Mac will splash and even lay down in the 1 foot area to cool down (we are in South Florida) but the one time he fell in the deep section he panicked and just splashed and thrashed until I had to rescue him!...to this day he will not go for a swim, we even brought him to the salt water beach nearby and he will just run up and down the beach when we are in and bark incessantly, but will not venture over his head.....any hope for this big coward?...lol...thanks Nick

Answer
Hi Nick,

Your dog has learned to dislike, even fear water. He may never like it. My Golden retriever, of all dogs who does not like water, and only ever wades and splashes around in it, recently at the age of 6 1/2 jumped into some water that was over her head. She panicked but dog paddled her way back to the edge and pulled herself out. I'm glad because I really didn't want to go diving for her! My other dog, who is a good swimmer came to her aid, sensing her distress. I do not know yet what the outcome of that experience will be.

You could try to desensitize and counter condition him to the water by making it appear super safe to him, never pushing him into it and preventing him from being surprised and scared again. You can pair the experience with something pleasant, such as food, and gradually he may learn to overcome his fear and like the water. If it was my dog, I would make sure he had a life jacket on at all times around water. You could take him out on the water boating or to picnics or whatever, and he could come to have a positive association with the water.

Just make sure you never push him in, like my swimming instructor's assistant did when I was a kid standing fearfully on the high diving board over a deep water quarry - or my diving instructor who held me down under the water and almost drowned me to make a point to never forget to exhale on ascent again! These are not effective teaching methods.

You could also play games with your dog in the water, like fetch. Just protect him from ever getting scared again, and allow him to progress at his own rate, reinforcing any progress with praise and food treats or games such as fetch - whatever he enjoys.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for asking, and good luck!

Cindy

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA