Dog Training/How can I transform my crazy Lab to an indoor pet within a few months?

Question
Almost two years ago, I rescued a dog who was severely emaciated. I saw him running past my window and followed him, caught him, brought him home and back to health, etc. The entire time, I considered him temporary as I have been trying to find him a home this entire time. It's been two years. I'm moving in a little less than three months. I've realized that as taking him to the pound is NOT an option, he's stuck with me.

Charlie has been living outside in a small fenced in area these past two years without much training. He sits on command and is eh with stay, but that's all. Every time I let him out, he almost immediately runs away from me and I have to chase him down the street and catch him in my neighbors front yard. I don't think he knows his name since he ignores me when I say it, and he won't come to me for any reason. I need to train him to sit and come and stay and generally listen to me within the next few months. I consider myself good with dogs, but I honestly don't know where to begin with him. He's intensely high energy and a little rough. He's three years old. I see a lot of good qualities in him, he has zero aggression, loves people, loves other dogs, loves food, loves toys... he's basically perfect.

TL;DR
If I can't train my Labrador basic obedience and some house manners within the next few months, I may have to surrender him to a dog pound.

I fully acknowledge that his being this way is entirely my fault, I just need to know where to go from here.

Answer
Hi Carol,

Clicker training is my recommendation, that is genuine clicker training that follows the basic tenets, principles and procedures of real clicker training. Those would include teaching cues instead of commands, not using any type of physical or vernal correction or intimidation, teaching the behavior before adding the cue, using the click as an end marker as well as an event marker, minimizing the use of luring, using a high rate of reinforcement with pea-size treats, etc.

Here is an article I wrote introducing the concepts of clicker training: https://www.animalinfo.com.au/fact_sheets/view/2/25/175/Clicker_Training_What_is_it.  I have also authored other articles on this site that you might find useful. See my YouTube channel (https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWj1N42y35shuHympYdNPmg)for some videos that you might find useful or interesting: ilovecanines.

Clicker training calms animals down by causing the animals to become active learners and participants in their training. They become thinking, rather than reacting animals. They learn how to learn, learn to love learning, and what they learn lasts a very long time, if not indefinitely.

In clicker training we actively engage the animal in their training rather than making them do anything. This eliminates stress and maximizes learning and cooperation. Clicker training increases an animal's self-confidence and builds the bond between dog and trainer/owner.

The very first thing I teach is how to get your dog's attention and keep it. Eye contact can be very calming for dogs, and if it is the first thing taught, becomes the default behavior, what the animal does when he doesn't know what else to do. I also teach sit pretty early on, that is sitting on cue and a default sit so that this also becomes part of the default behavior.

I offer an online training option through my business, Canine Connection LLC (www.click-r-train.com). You could also search for a trainer via the APDT website (https://apdt.com/trainer-search/) or the CCPDT website (http://www.ccpdt.org/index.php?option=com_certificants&Itemid=102). Be sure to look carefully at the trainer's credentials and make sure you are hiring a trainer who uses force-free (no shock, e-collars, choke chain collars, prong collars, dominance, etc.) positive reinforcement methods, either lure-reward training or clicker training or some blend of the two.

Hope that helps!

Cindy  

Dog Training

Cindy Ludwig, M.A., R.N., KPA-CTP, CPDT-KA