Dogs/Schnauzer Skin Problems

Dogtired wrote at 2010-02-27 19:07:04
I have a Schnauzer also and have been fighting this problem for 5 years. It comes with some dogs and there is not any one thing that will cure it, I have heard it is a staph infection, antihistamines will help, vet medicated shampoos will help. I have tried different diets, that does not seem to be the problem. vet med Animax Cream will help, you need to stop the itching so it can heal and I comb the scabs off before putting on the med if possible. My dog gets them around his mouth and that is a trip to the vet for antibiotics and meds. Stress has a lot to do with a outbreak, anytime we have a storm or an all day trip he breaks out with these sores. Need to dry them up asap. Good luck

GKW wrote at 2012-12-31 12:38:49
Having had the same issues arise over 11 years I would recommend the schnauzer be checked for pemphigus on his abdomen and schnauzer comedone syndrome along his back. Shampoos such as Maseleb will help manage both symptoms but what my be driving this situation is in-breeding. Once a champion line is overbred or poor husbandry for profit come into play there is nothing you can do other than manage and review this issue.

My champion Schnauzer ( Jansad Dapper Dan), bought as a pet not a show dog, demonstrated similar problems from 3 yrs of age. This was worsened by photosensitivity to strong sun light ( welts leading to hot spots and dermatitis) and ultimately to Epidermotropic lymphoma in later life.

Be cautious about any non-canine shampoos as they are for human pH levels which are slightly more acidic, take your dog off dry kibble as they contain pesticides used as preservatives, do not use back of neck flea or mange products as these permeate the skin that is already compromised and create tremors, add vitamin E to the diet such as Yumega and consider skin scrapes and biopsies of any ulcerations or pustules so you have an accurate understanding of cause as treating 'allergies' wastes time and will ultimately leaves your dog open to decline.

If I can save one schnauzer owner the pain we have gone through due to poor vet advice then Burt's life wont be in vain.  

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.