Dogs/Portable oxygen concentrator for Dog

Alex's Mom wrote at 2012-01-17 19:34:52
My 7 year-old Sphynx cat has congenital cardiomyopathy and has more frequent episodes of congestive heart failure.  In between episodes, he does extremely well and is very happy, loving and playful.  He is on significant doses of diuretics and other medications for his heart. I, too, am looking into purchasing or making an oxygen crate for short-term "rescue" therapy when he has an acute episode. It is very expensive to keep taking him to the pet ER for oxygen therapy and additional diuretics...I know that he is end-stage, despite being quite happy much of the time...but he really does well after a few hours in oxygen, and then is back to normal for a week, or two or three. I wouldn't jump to the conclusion that your beloved dog needs to be euthanised.  It depends on his quality of life. Needing oxygen periodically is like needing a medication, and if you are willing to pay for it and administer it safely, I am wholeheartedly in favor.  Good luck with your dear canine friend...he is lucky to have you!

freda Roetjens wrote at 2012-06-27 16:21:24
My Chihuahua lived 5 years after being diagnosed with heart failure, water on the lungs and the vet gave him 8 months maximum to live. He was on Vetmedin for the heart, and that worked wonders for my dog, He lived until 15 years old and passed away with kidney failure due to the constant water tablet to clear his lungs from the excessive water. He was a happy chihuahua on his medication looked healthy ate well and gave us immense pleasure to have him around for another 5 years.

I would do the same over again.

Voice for those who don't have one wrote at 2014-02-05 02:29:31
So, would your answer be the same if it was your

Father, mother, or child. Just because a dog needs

Medical technology to live it's later years in comfort

Does not always mean to lay them to rest

As we all age we will need assistance in one

Form or another. If a dog is eating drinking walking

Playing and living a normal life for what should

Be expected of an elderly and needs help with

Breathing issues does not mean you should think

Of what is best for the dog by placing him to sleep

No more than it would for an elderly man on

Oxygen. Please don't place guilt on an already

Distraught person whom is wanting to give

Their dog a comfortable life in their senior years  

Mell Lyttle

I am happy to answer any questions relating to health and general well being of small animals including dogs, cats, rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, reptiles etc. I am not experienced in large animals like horses or cattle.

I have been a small animal veterinary nurse for 6 years, have specialised in emergency and critical care for the past 2 years and am in my first year of university where I am studying to be a veterinarian

Veterinary nurse

Hills nutrition advocate