Dogs/Dog urinating a lot ...

Hello ,

My Labrador Roger , is more than an year old he is a healthy dog but the only problem with him is that he pees a lot . A lot means too much rather every time when we go to him he excitedly starts jumping and pees along and rest of the time as well he keeps peeing (like almost every 15 minutes .) .

please help !!

Hi Prabhleen,

In a young dog, peeing during times of excitement (such as your arrival) is called "Submissive Urination", or "Excitment Urination". Usually puppies do this behavior, but it can continue into adulthood. You should not punish your dog for this, he can't control himself. However, whenever dog urinates at inappropriate times itís important to visit your veterinarian to rule out medical causes before doing anything else.

Only after a medical cause for your dog's problem has been ruled out, should you assume this is a submissive urination problem, and begin working on getting that under control.

Read about submissive urination here:

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.