Dogs/Pug Nutrition and Fibre Content

Question
Hi there.

I have a 10 month old pug and he poops between 4-7 times a day. I have been reading on the internet that, as dogs grow older they should be pooping less. I am thinking that may be I am over doing it on the fiber content. His food consists of 70% meat and liver that is cooked for about a minute. 20% consists of blended fruits and vegtables such as carrots, celery, brocoli, apples and cucumber. 10% consists of cooked and mashed squash and pumpkin. I also add some fish oil and calcium for dogs to the mea1. I feed him twice a day once in the morning when he wakes up and once in the evening. Kindly advise.

Answer
Hello,

It is unusual for a dog to go that many times. The diet you are feeding sounds fine but may be a little high in the veggies so your fiber content will be higher. I would make sure to keep the liver and/or other organ meat to no more than 5% of the diet.

A couple of industry experts gave the best ratio at 80% meat/organs/bone and 20% veggies.

So you may try to up your meat content and lower the veggies/squash.

I would also look to add additional enzymes and probiotics. These are found naturally in raw food but are destroyed when you cook the food.

I know you said you only cook for about one minute and that's fine. That should preserve the natural enzymes and probiotics.

But I would still add more enzymes and probiotics if you are mostly using muscle meat. All the commercially made raw food for dogs in the USA is comprised of muscle meat.

The best digestive enzymes are found in the intestinal track and bile ducts and not much in the muscle meat.

That's why we add more good digestive enzymes to our dogs food and I would suggest doing that as well.

So try doing the above things and see how he does. The high absorption of this kind of diet will usually mean less poop. So you need to make sure things are getting digested properly.

Let me know if you have any additional question or if I can do anything else for you.

Roger  

Dogs

Roger McLeskey