Dogs/A Puppy for Christmas

Winnie The Pup<3
Winnie The Pup<3  
Im Amy,15,So i have been bugging my mom and dad about a puppy for the last week, i don't know why i just really want a puppy this phase has been happening since i was 13, every time it got close to christmas i would always want a puppy, and my parents just never got me one, i told them i would take really really good care of her. But My question is.. How do you train them not too use the potty inside the house.. i wont be home until after 5 o clock because of school and work so my dad agreed that if we do buy her that he would look after her until i got home every day. so could you please tell me an easy way to train her not to pee or poop inside of our house.. my mom said she can't take the smell of dog poo because she has a very week stomach. and could you tell me what i would need to buy for her, indoors and outdoors this is my first time getting a puppy if my parents do let me. Thank you so much and if i do get her, her name will be Winnie. and im calling her Winnie the pup.. Please pray that i get her i really want her very much. Anyway Thanks for your time reading this.

PS: Im attaching a picture of her, she's a Chihuahua. (Small,Young,Female)

You have picked one of the hardest pups to house break and it isn't all their fault.  Since they are so tiny, they have tiny bladders so you and your dad must take her out every hour in the beginning.  I am also enclosing below how puppies think about "dens" which is actually first their bed and then your room and then another room one by one until the whole house becomes their "den".  Offer her small amounts of water between meals and keep an ice cube in her dish at all times so she can lick it when she gets dry.  This is just until she learns how to "hold it"
Make sure you let her out every hour and give her a treat and NAME THE ACTION! by saying "good potty".  This will let her know two things: one that she is being good and two that what she is doing is going potty. The reason is so at some future time you can say "No potty" when you don't want her to do something.

Keep her confined to one area.  If you let her run all over she won't housebreak.  The only time she is allowed to go anywhere is when you are there watching her.  Learn her "potty signs".    Sometimes they sniff a lot, sometimes they run in circles.  Just watch her so you know what she does just before she squats.  Every time she eats, she will have to go within about 15 minutes or sooner.  The second she wakes up from a nap, she will urinate immediately so make sure you take her out then.  Or  wake her yourself and take her out so she starts to get the idea that she has to wake up and go outside.   

She will need a bed, water and food bowl and some soft toys.  Get her some Bill Jack tiny treats to give her when she is good or when you want her to learn things.
If you start right away teaching her the commands, she will get used to doing things you say and it makes the potty training easier.  If she thinks she doesn't have to obey the rules because she is so little or cute, she won't obey potty rules either.  Does this make sense, you have to be an all around good puppy owner.  Any fault will be yours not hers.  

You must be very consistent no matter what you do with her.  If you tell her to sit and she doesn't, you must immediately stay will her until she sits.  Little dogs try to rule you because they are cute and know it, but she will be so much more happy if she has you to depend on to make the decisions.  Dogs are so good and if they think they need to be in charge because you aren't, they will do so even if they don't want to be in charge.

If you have to leave her alone for any length of time, you can put her in an ex-pen that has her bed, water, and some puppy pads that she can go to the bathroom on.  This way she can have a good clean "den", her bed.

The following is how dogs think about being clean:

When dogs stop keeping their DEN/BEDS  clean, there is or has been a problem in the past, where they couldn't keep them clean.  This is the result of confusion on the dogs part or physical limits or being left too long in the crate.  Many reasons so forget about them and start over, it is worth it.
Dogs will naturally keep their dens clean, it is an instinct.  When they are babies they will try and get away from the sleeping area and then go to the bathroom.  The older and stronger they get, the further they go away from the sleeping area to go to the bathroom. When a dog is crate trained and left in the crate longer than his physical ability to “hold it”, they are forced to go to the bathroom in their den and will adapt to that way of thinking.  The dog must now be housebroken starting from the beginning. They must learn to keep their bed clean again by being confined again to a room (not a crate) where there is a bed and pads/papers  so they can start to keep their bed/den clean.  An ex-pen can be used also.  This must be followed up with constant surveillance until the dog is stable in their habits.  
The premise is to give your pup a choice of going to the bathroom in their bed or on the papers/pads you have provided.  Put a bed on one end inside the room (a laundry room or bathroom or kitchen will do) or ex-pen.  Leave six inches between the bed and the papers and put the pads/papers down inside the whole rest of room/pen….  I recommend the puppy pads with the housebreaking scent to start, then you can switch to any kind of papers.    Make sure her bed is washed and clean…maybe even a new bed. Now when she is left in there she has the ability to pee somewhere other than her bed…Also she is used to smelling like her bed, she must be washed as well.  Otherwise she will try to make the bed smell as she does.  As the days go by, and once she starts going on the papers instead of the bed, I want you to pick up a small portion of the papers and reduce the size of where she can go.  As she learns to go more and more on the pads, you will be able to pick up more until you are down to one pad.  This pad can now be put near a door and eventually outside the door.   She must be praised when she goes on the papers.
At the same time you are doing this you will continue to take her out and treat her when she goes outside.    Make sure to read all of this so you understand more on how a dog thinks.
A common mistake is made if you have a dog confined to a bathroom or kitchen area, and he starts becoming housebroken in that area, most people think that  “WOW!  MY DOG IS HOUSE BROKEN AND HE CAN NOW HAVE FREE RUN OF THE HOUSE”.   NO!!! You may be thinking that, but the dog is thinking (when he gets out of the room) “I am out of my den now so I can go to the bathroom here.”  Do you see how they think?  They keep their den clean.  So you have to teach them that the whole house is their den, not just the kitchen.  To do this, you must  housebreak. dogs   in each room of your house..  When first introduced to new rooms, the dog should be kept on a leash which is attached to your waist.  This way you can correct  or praise the minute your dog even sniffs.

Another mistake that is made, is in the mornings….when a dog first gets up, he has to go relieve his bladder.  So we let them out and he urinates outside or on the paper/pad.   During the time he was sleeping, his bladder filled. When it filled, his kidneys said  “Oh the bladder is filled I better not send anymore urine there until he empties it.   So in the morning the bladder is emptied and the kidneys immediately start sending the stored up urine back to the bladder.  Sooooooo within about 20 minutes or maybe less,  the dog has to go again.  And if you are not there to let him out, he might just go wherever he is at the moment.  Keep him with you after he gets up.  Keep watching him so you can watch for signs of restlessness or sniffing.  When you see this, hurry him to the door saying you have to go out?   and  good potty, etc.  If you do this often enough he will get the idea.
You can also put a bell on the door and get him used to ringing this when he has to go out.   This way no matter where you are you will hear the bell and know he has to go out.   
Hope this helps, if not get back to me there are many methods.

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993