Is it true that a rabid dog would die within the first 10 days after contracting Rabies or after ten days after he bit me? Can the rabies virus live in the dried dog saliva on my hand which i rubbed on my eye? Will i get rabies?

Albie,  If you have been bitten, you need to go to the doctor IMMEDIATELY!  If the virus gets into your nervous system there is no cure.'

A dog does not always die from rabies in 10 days.  The virus can stay in the blood stream for up to 6 months and in that time can infect another animal (including humans).  This is a question I never get so I had to do some research on this.

If the dog bit you and you know he had rabies, then you can get rabies.  They say that if a dog did not break the skin, you won't get it, but maybe there is a minor break that you can't see.  That is why you need to go to a doctor.  You can get it through the eye, the mouth (a kiss) sexual relations and organ transplants.  Between animals, it can even be transmitted through the air, but humans seem to need direct contact.  

The dog must be confined, but to be on the safe side, you need to get started on medication.  Please go to a doctor, there are still deaths each year in the United States.  World wide approximately 22,000 people still die of rabies each year.

I hope this answers your question and if you have a computer there is a lot of information out there.  

There is no way of knowing if a dog has rabies, but if he has not had a rabies shot, he will have to be in incubation for six months.  If he has had a shot it will be 45 days.  The only way to tell is to kill the dog and examine the brain.

So please take care of your bite and let me know how you make out.

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993