Dogs/chlorophyl dosage for small dogs

Hello, I have a small rescue female dog (weighs about 5 lbs.)  I had wanted to wait to have her spayed to make sure she hadn't ALREADY been spayed at some time and avoid causing the stress of an unnecessary operation.  SO, she's in her second day of estrus. I plan to have her spayed after the estrus stops.  Meanwhile, I have read that a dosage of chlorophyll tablets may be helpful in masking her hormonal "come-hither" scent.  Have looked and looked for what the dose should be for a small dog, but haven't found anything.  Don't want to OD her! I have gelcaps of 50mg strength. What do you recommend?  Thanks!  Jan

Hi Jan,

I've never had or know of anyone who had done this for that reason but it sure may help. As for dosing, there's a general rule of thumb people use for giving dogs supplements. You use a 100lb dog for a standard human dose.

So a 50lb dog would get half a human dose and so on. So your little girl would get a very small amount.

You would probably be best off if you can find a holistic vet in your area or online to ask. Your regular vet will have no training in supplement or nutrition. The holistic vet will. They would be able to tell you if this works and at what dose you need to give.

If there is any nutrition advice I can help with, that is my specialty. If you want help with that, just respond back to this question and let me know everything that's in her diet now, including brand names. I'll be happy to give you an opinion and some recommendations if you need them.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with.

Roger McLeskey

Can answer all nutritional information for all dogs. Common problems with food, supplements, weight control, allergies, fleas, etc. Questions regarding raw food, homemade food, skin & coat issues, ect. Can't and/or will not do medicinal type questions that the vet takes care of.

I am certified in Dog Nutrition. Over 6 years now I've owned a natural pet food retail store. I've worked with hundreds of dogs and there owners to achieve better health. We promote a healthy balanced species related diet. This is the way nature made your pet to thrive. Fortunately for those who cannot or wish not to feed a raw based diet, there are alternatives with supplements and cooked food. Just don't let processed food be there only diet. Food is the most powerful medicine. Heal the core of the animal and the rest will take care of itself. We've turned the lives of many dogs around. There parents come back into the store and comment to us on how there dog acts like a real dog again. Our business is thriving and we continue to help many.

We work with Second Chance Companions, Must Love Dogs, members of ASPCA, HSUSA and started our own personal "Red Head Rescue" (non chartered) for stray dogs and rescue dogs from high kill shelters. We've been able to heal the many health ailments these dogs have and place them in good homes.

Dog Food Decoded - How To Choose A Health Diet For Your Dog and Your Budget - Available on Amazon in Kindle format or Paperback. Various articles for in store and web.

Certified - Canine Nutrition Level Three. Last 7 years I've been working with veterinarians, holistic veterinarians, attending seminars and best of all, real life experience with hundreds of customer dogs and cats. I've seen what works and does not work. Feeding a proper species appropriate diet works for most ailments. We've taken away our petís natural diet and caused most of todayís problems.

Many satisfied pet owners coming to our store for nutritional help and advice.