What is the 10 days observation period for rabies in dogs? Explain. A dog bit me. What if the dog dies after a month?

Hi Albie,

If a dog has bitten you, you should be seen by a doctor now, don't wait ten days.  Hopefully, you thoroughly wash the wound with soap and running water. You should gather as much information about the dog as possible.  Contact your doctor as soon as possible and notify your local public health unit or the state health department as well as local law enforcement.

The ten day observation period is for the dog to develop symptoms of rabies or not. If after ten days no rabies symptoms in the dog occurs, you will not need rabies shots.

Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.