Dogs/rabies

Question
What is the 10 days observation period for rabies in dogs? Explain. A dog bit me. What if the dog dies after a month?

Answer

Hi Albie,

If a dog has bitten you, you should be seen by a doctor now, don't wait ten days.  Hopefully, you thoroughly wash the wound with soap and running water. You should gather as much information about the dog as possible.  Contact your doctor as soon as possible and notify your local public health unit or the state health department as well as local law enforcement.

The ten day observation period is for the dog to develop symptoms of rabies or not. If after ten days no rabies symptoms in the dog occurs, you will not need rabies shots.

Best of luck,

Patti

Dogs

Patti