Dogs/rabies

Question
Puppy bit me. He died after a month. Will i get rabies? I've read this-
"The purpose of the 10 day quarantine is to determine whether or not the dog was transmitting the virus at the time of the bite. It does not mean the dog does not have rabies; it only means that the dog could not have transmitted the virus to the person bitten."

Answer

Thanks for writing to me about your puppy.  It is unclear as to how long ago you were bitten by the puppy but I would think that you would know by now if he had died of rabies or if you had rabies.  A dog with rabies is extremely rare and where would he have caught it? It is usually from a wild animal with rabies and unless you have let your puppy run around in the woods, he couldn't have caught it.  I would not worry but I would make sure that the next time you have a puppy to be certain that he gets all his shots from a qualified vet and if he shows signs of illness that he is immediately seen by a vet.

Best of luck,
Shelley Davis

Dogs

Shelley Davis