Dogs/Strange Behavior

Question
I know this may be a medical question you cannot answer, but maybe you have experienced this too with your pet. My dog was laying down and I looked over at her and her cheeks were pulled back, kind of like a human smiling and the cheeks are bunched up. She was also drooling. She stood up and she was shaking and her heart was beating fast. I laid her back down and she slowly calmed down and it all stopped. I'm confused on what exactly was going on with her. Maybe a small seizure? I'm just concerned, if it's serious or not. Can you help?

Answer
Hi Alicia,

It's tough to say what was going on. Depending on how old she is and what kind of diet she is on, it could be a stroke or seizure or simply a bad dream. We have a beagle that's done similar things. He is so scared of loud noises, thunder etc., he will sometimes get up shaking and we don't know why and pretty soon he settles down.

Just make sure she is acting normally otherwise. That she is eating and drinking normally. If you suspect something or she is not acting normal, I would definitely suggest getting her in for a check up.

Diet makes a HUGE difference in a dog's well-being and that is my specialty. If you want me to evaluate her diet, just reply back to this same question and let me  know everything that is in her diet and include brand names.

Also, let me know her breed, how old she is, activity level, any medical issues past or present.

If not, then just keep a close eye on her for a while. If she does it again or like I said, anything seems out of normal, get her in to a vet.

Let me know if I can do anything else,

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey