Dogs/9-10 year old Pit bull is pregnant

Question
I think my dog is pregnant she is 9-10 years old so I am concerned about her health she has gotten really big the last couple of weeks and her stomach area is really tight any ideas on what i should do??

Answer
Willie,

If it were my dog I would do one of two things:

I would have her spayed if she is not too far along, or even if she isn't pregnant.  I would do this because, if she isn't pregnant it will lengthen her life span because you won't have female problems with her uterus.  

If she is far along, I would have her X-rayed and have an ultra sound so you can see how many pups, and I would go for a c-section because she may have trouble having them at her age, unless she has had previous litters .

When she was in heat last, do you remember when she got with a male dog?  If so, count from that day 63 days forward and that is her due date.

Nancy

Dogs

Nancy Perry