Dogs/digestive problem

Question
I have a 7 month old puppy who's part beagle and cocker spaniel.  All his life he's been having problems with food. He will have a regular bowel movement in the morning, in the afternoon he'll have soft/ diarrhea, in the evening he'll be back to having a regular bowel movement ( no diarrhea). I've had him at the vet time after time and they can't find anything wrong with him, he's changed food even been put on special dry food from PetCo. I don't know what else to try with him.

Answer
Mercedes,

You mention that you put him on "special dry food from Petco" but didn't tell me what that was. It helps when talking about nutrition that you give brand names, amounts and any treats involved.

I'm not sure if you've read any of my previous post to questions but I'll start at the beginning and give you a run down on what should be in a pets diet.

First off, in you are only feeding a dry food, any dry food, you are not doing well for your dog. No dog should be on a dry food only diet.

Dog's by nature are meat eaters. They thrive on a high moisture diet of around 70%. Dry foods only have around 10% moisture. A dog on a dry or mostly dry will actually live in a mild state of dehydration. This effects internal organs over time and will have an impact on his bowel movements.

You cannot just add water or say that you feed him a little scraps now and then. That is not enough moisture to do him right.

His diet should contain at least half premium canned food and half, at most, dry food.

As for brands, DO NOT get any kind of crappy commercial foods like Science Diet, Iams, Purina, Beneful or similar.

These foods contain a lot of filler grains and poor quality meats. The main ingredients you want to stay clear of are wheat, corn, soy, by-products, gluten's, artificial coloring's and chemical preservatives.

These common ingredients commonly cause the majority of food allergies, cancers and degenerative type diseases. They also cause the majority of the digestive problems like you are experiencing.

Find premium puppy foods for him like Orijen Puppy, Blue Buffalo Puppy, Wellness Puppy, Merrick Puppy or Chicken Soup For The Puppy Lovers Soul.

Mos of these premium foods also have matching canned products but it is not necessary to do so.

Premium pet foods do NOT contain any of those bad ingredients that cause most problems. They are available at the smaller independent pet food stores. Look in your local yellow pages or on the internet.

Being a puppy, he still needs extra supplements, especially if you are feeding only cooked or processed foods. The two main nutrients that are extremely important and MUST be in his diet is the enzymes and probiotics. These two vital nutrients are in their natural diet but are destroyed when they cook or process foods. The lack of these two nutrients are a leading cause of diseases and cancers, even when feeding premium foods.

These two nutrients are responsible for creating a good digestion system. The lack of these two nutrients in the diet is why you, along with many other pet owners are experiencing digestive problems with their dogs.

You can get a supplement to just sprinkle on each meal. Animal Essentials makes a good one we use and carry in our store. Look them up and GET some. It's that important.

Other important supplements are some type of fish oil or canned fish product. The extra omega's are great for developing eyes and brain function.

A great source of omega's are canned sardines in water. These are whole foods and contain all the omega 3's and 6's needed.

The best diet in the world by far for any dog or cat is the raw food diet. This is their natural diet for good reasons. It is very high moisture, live natural enzymes and probiotics, and provides unaltered nutrients that nature intended for your dog to thrive.

We feed exclusively a raw food diet to our dogs and cats. There are a lot of commercially prepared raw food diets that making feeding this type of diet extremely easy to do. They come in nuggets, bars or patties and are frozen. You just thaw some ahead of time and keep them in a container in the fridge and just spoon a little out at meal time.

This is a great diet for him and his age if you are interested. You can learn more at a website that carries raw as well as canned and dry that we carry in our store. It's at http://www.naturesvariety.com.

So basically you need to get some good food in him, plenty of moisture and supplement with enzymes and probiotics. This should get his system back going strong and the way it should.

The one good thing about better quality pet foods is that they are higher protein count so you feed less. At a cost per serving, it turns out the same or cheaper than the cheap crappy foods. This means less trips to the vet as well as they will keep your pet healthier. It also means less bowel movements as higher absorb-able wet foods or raw foods mean higher absorption into the body and less waste.

I know this is a lot of info so if you have some questions or feel I need to know more, please respond back to this question and I'll see if I can help.

My wife and I did wright a book explaining all this about dog foods and supplements. We have it published on Amazon. If you have a Kindle or Kindle app, you can download a copy for only $2.99 or we do have it in paper back.

The link to view it is at http://www.amazon.com/Dog-Food-Decoded-Healthy-ebook/dp/B008LX6WGY/ref=sr_1_1?ie

Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you and your dog,

Roger

Dogs

Roger McLeskey