Dogs/Getting A Dog

QUESTION: Hi, My name is Sanjay. I live in a house with a big field write in front. A lot of space to roam but I PLAN on getting a small dog,  a Yorkshire Terrier..My sister does not like big dogs and i don't like dogs with white fur.. My whole family agreed on getting a Yorkshire Terrier .. Me, my sisters, brothers or parents won't be home in the morning till the afternoon ( 7:00 - 3:00 )..  1)  While I'm not home I want my yorkie puppy to use the wee wee pads but I want him/her to go outside whenever I am bringing him/her for a walk or whenever I am at home.. Is that possible?   2)  I have many days where at least one of our family members will be at home to occupy him/her but there are days where we will all be out for the stated time above.. How do I occupy my yorkie puppy?   3)  When can u start bringing a new yorkie puppy out for a walk?   4)  When can u start bringing a new yorkie puppy to the dog park?   5)  Will he/her want to go potty in the middle of the night?   6)  Should I use a lease or a harness when i'm walking my yorkie puppy?  I know that there are many questions that I am asking right now, so please take your time and give me some tips because this is my first time... Thanks :)gfjhjnjnghjgh

Hi Sanjay,

The best time to bring the new puppy home is when you'll be home, such as during a vacation period. When welcoming the puppy into your home, it is best to do it at a time when you are sure that you can be with the puppy for more than just brief moments. In fact, as much as possible, avoid leaving your puppy alone during this period. The first few days or weeks will be an adjustment period, not just for you and your family, but for your puppy too. The puppy will be adjusting to his new surroundings and to the separation from it's mother and littermates. Your puppy may do a lot of crying as he gets used to its new home and family.
It is natural for puppies at the age of 8-10 weeks to easily develop a bond with its new owner, but this owner-pet bond will not happen as smoothly if you are not around much during this crucial period. Spend at least a week or two with your new puppy to help him adjust and to create a strong bond between you and he.

Depending on the age of your puppy, it will need to relieve itself quite often. The rule of thumb for how often a puppy will need to toilet is it's age in months, plus one. So for example, a two month old pup will need to be taken outside every three hours. This rule isn't set in stone, so you can expect a puppy to need to relieve itself more often than that, sometimes.

A puppy is not physically able to control it's bowels or bladder until he is about 12 weeks of age. Before this time, good housebreaking routines should be practiced to avoid having your puppy urinate and defecate all over your home. Your puppy doesn't know what house training pads are for, and he needs a large area to be covered, since there is no guarantee that he'll "hit" the area you want him to use. For these reasons, your puppy needs to be contained in a small room or in a pet pen, that has a thick layer of newspaper covering the entire containment area. Newspaper is much cheaper than those house training pads, and you'll be using A LOT of newspaper! Clean soiled paper promptly, by removing it and putting down new newspaper. When you or your family members come home, immediately take the puppy outside, and offer praise or a tiny bit of food as a reward whenever it relieves itself outside. Anytime you or a family member can't be supervising the puppy, it should be kept in the containment area, otherwise accidents WILL occur in your home!

The keys to house training a puppy in as short a period of time as possible is constant supervision, containment whenever the puppy can't be supervised, get the puppy on a schedule of meal times and walks, and frequent trips outside- where praise and rewards are given for a job well done!

Once your puppy has gotten all of it's "puppy shots", it's safe to walk him in areas where other dogs go to the bathroom, and to interact with other dogs.  Until then, avoid going to places where there are a lot of dogs. Keep the puppy in your back yard (if you have one) or as close to your home as possible.

When you take your puppy outside, it should be on a leash. Whether you attach the leash to a harness or neck collar is purely a matter of personal choice. Because your puppy will be growing, it might be cheaper to buy the neck collar, since he'll be growing and will outgrow whatever collar you start with. Check to make sure the collar fits right, you should be able to insert two fingers between the collar and the back of the puppy's neck.

Puppies need to eliminate about 15 minutes after they eat or drink, and as soon as they wake up. Active play and chewing stimulate elimination, so keep a sharp eye on your puppy and dash him outside before he needs to eliminate. Signs he needs to go to the bathroom are: he starts sniffing the floor, he starts to circle around, or he squats.
Don't expect a puppy to tell you when he needs to go outside to go to the bathroom! If an accident happens in your home, it's because the puppy wasn't supervised closely enough, and he wasn't in his containment area. Neither is the fault of the puppy, so the puppy shouldn't be punished! In other words, accidents can't be blamed on the puppy! Stay calm, and clean the mess up, and promise yourself that next time you'll watch the puppy closer, or if you can't be watching the puppy put him in the containment area!

Most puppies don't need to go to the bathroom as often over night. Just the same, you don't want to give him the run of your home. As late as possible, before you or your parents bedtime, take the puppy outside. Over night, the puppy should be in it's containment area, or if you're using a dog crate, put the crate in a family member's bedroom. If you are planning on using a crate, don't use it for long periods of time, when the puppy won't have a choice but to soil (like when you're away at school all day). Crates are not to be soiled in, crates are for sleeping in or containment after the puppy is house trained.

Many people are frustrated by a puppy who does nothing during it's walk outside, then comes home and immediately soils in the house. Make your puppy’s walk a reward for eliminating. Bring the puppy on leash to your chosen elimination spot outside, and just stand there. Do nothing, say nothing. Give the puppy 2 or 3 minutes to eliminate. If he does, praise him warmly and take him for a walk. If he doesn’t, just bring him back inside without comment, and put him in his containment area or keep him on leash next to you (you KNOW he needs to go to the bathroom, and you don't want him to do it in your home!). Ten to 15 minutes later, bring him outside and try again. Sooner or later he’ll pee and/or poop and earn his walk reward. He will learn to relieve himself more quickly outside, because that’s how he gets a nice walk. Prompt elimination is a convenient habit for rainy days, or if you're in a hurry.

Read more about how to house train a puppy here:

Inside of the puppy's containment area, keep his toys, bedding and a bowl of clean water. Depending on if there will be people around to feed the puppy, you can also put it's food bowl in the containment area too. Be sure to provide "puppy-safe" toys that won't be a choking hazard. Good toys are those made of thick or solid rubber to stand up to hours of chewing. There are also synthetic bones, such as "Nylabones" that won't splinter like real bones. There are several kinds of dog/puppy toys designed so you can tuck treats inside that only come out when your dog works at getting the food out of them. These are particularly good because they keep the puppy interested for a long period of time. Clean these toys daily, and fill them with different treats to keep them interesting. Safe toys keep his imagination active, discourage destructive behavior, and promote dental health. Read more about choosing safe dog toys here:

Things to do before bringing the puppy home:

Good luck with the new pup!
Feel free to get back to me with additional questions.

One more question, I have many days where at least one of our family members will be at home to occupy him/her but there are days where we will all be out for 7:00 till 3:00... How do I occupy my yorkie puppy? And where do i put him/her?

hello again, Sanjay,

As I mentioned before, anytime somebody can't be supervising the puppy, she/he needs to be in it's containment area, this includes the days when nobody will be home between 7:00 and 3:00. Some puppies are soothed by having a TV or radio left on when they're alone. On those long days, is it possible to have a friend, neighbor, or relative come over to take the puppy out? Is it possible to pay for a dog walking service?
Remember, the puppy won't yet be trained, and it WILL relieve itself when it's alone. This is why the floor of the entire containment area needs to be covered with a thick layer of newspaper. Take your puppy outside before leaving for the day, and again as soon as you return home.
The area you use for the containment area can be any small room that has been made "puppy safe", or it can be part of a larger room if you use a child-gate or two to enclose the puppy. Here is some info on how to "puppy proof" your home:

When you ask "how do I occupy" your puppy, when you are away leave toys in his containment area. It's important that the puppy learns how to settle down and entertain itself, and just be quiet. Being alone for a given period of time is just a reality of living with a family. When you're home just being with the puppy, playing with it, walking it, training it, holding it, and loving it, is all the activity the puppy needs.

Here is some info on how to train a puppy to be calm and quiet when left alone:

Having a puppy is a wonderful experience- they sure are cute, but they demand an awful lot of time and months of training. For people who have never had a puppy before but want to own a dog, starting out with a puppy is not an easy option. For these reasons, maybe you and your family might want to consider adopting a young adult dog. Adult dogs can be left alone for longer periods of time than a puppy can, and you will already know the dog's temperament. I don't know what kind of animal shelters they have in Kuala Lumpur, in the US it's possible to find adoptable dogs at animal shelters that have already been house trained, spayed or neutered, and current on it's vaccines. So many loving and deserving dogs are in need of a wonderful home, like yours. Here are a couple of links to adoptable dogs in Kuala Lumpur:

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.