Dogs/Getting A Dog & Potty Trainning

QUESTION: Hi, My name is Sanjay. I live in a house with a big field write in front. A lot of space to roam but I PLAN on getting a small dog,  a Yorkshire Terrier..My sister does not like big dogs and i don't like dogs with white fur.. My whole family agreed on getting a Yorkshire Terrier .. Me, my sisters, brothers or parents won't be home in the morning till the afternoon ( 7:00 - 3:00 )..  1)  While I'm not home I want my yorkie puppy to use the wee wee pads but I want him/her to go outside whenever I am bringing him/her for a walk or whenever I am at home.. Is that possible?   2)  I have many days where at least one of our family members will be at home to occupy him/her but there are days where we will all be out for the stated time above.. How do I occupy my yorkie puppy?   3)  When can u start bringing a new yorkie puppy out for a walk?   4)  When can u start bringing a new yorkie puppy to the dog park?   5)  Will he/her want to go potty in the middle of the night?   6)  Should I use a lease or a harness when i'm walking my yorkie puppy?  I know that there are many questions that I am asking right now, so please take your time and give me some tips because this is my first time... Thank you :)

ANSWER: Sanjay,  I can only answer one or two questions at a time.  But I will interject that be careful with small dogs in big fields, my friend lost his tiny poodle when an owl came down and grabbed it.
Yes you can use both wee wee pads and take your pup out.  When you first get him home start taking him outside to a specific spot and telling him to "go Potty"  then put him down and when he goes give him a treat saying, "good potty".  Once he knows what that means half the battle is done.

When you must leave for a day, put him in an expen with his bed and wee wee pads with about six inches in between.  Do not crate him for long periods.  Yes, he will have to go in the middle of the night if he is under 3 months.

after he has had all his shots, he can go to a park

If you need more info please write again.

PS  Here is an article I wrote on housebreaking.
Dogs will naturally keep their dens clean, it is an instinct.  When they are babies they will try and get away from the sleeping area and then go to the bathroom.  The older and stronger they get, the further they go away from the sleeping area to go to the bathroom. When a dog is crate trained and left in the crate longer than his physical ability to “hold it”, they are forced to go to the bathroom in their den and will adapt to that way of thinking.  The dog must now be housebroken starting from the beginning. They must learn to keep their bed clean again by being confined again to a room (not a crate) where there is a bed and pads/papers  so they can start to keep their bed/den clean.  An ex-pen can be used also.  This must be followed up with constant surveillance until the dog is stable in their habits.  
The premise is to give your pup a choice of going to the bathroom in their bed or on the papers/pads you have provided.  Put a bed on one end inside a room (a laundry room or bathroom or kitchen will do) or ex-pen.  Leave six inches between the bed and the papers and put the pads/papers down inside the whole rest of room/pen….  I recommend the puppy pads with the housebreaking scent to start, then you can switch to any kind of papers.    Make sure the bed is washed and clean…maybe even a new bed. Now when he/she is left in there she has the ability to pee somewhere other than her bed…Also she is used to smelling like her bed, she must be washed as well.  Otherwise she will try to make the bed smell as she does.  As the days go by, and once she starts going on the papers instead of the bed, I want you to pick up a small portion of the papers and reduce the size of where she can go, leaving more space between the bed and the pads.  As she learns to go more and more on the pads, you will be able to pick up more until you are down to one pad.  This pad can now be put near a door and eventually outside the door.   She must be praised when she goes on the papers.
At the same time you are doing this you will continue to take her out and treat her when she goes outside.    Make sure to read all of this so you understand more on how a dog thinks.
A common mistake is made if you have a dog confined to a bathroom or kitchen area, and he starts becoming housebroken in that area, most people think that  “WOW!  MY DOG IS HOUSE BROKEN AND HE CAN NOW HAVE FREE RUN OF THE HOUSE”.   NO!!! You may be thinking that, but the dog is thinking (when he gets out of the room) “I am out of my den now so I can go to the bathroom here.”  Do you see how they think?  They keep their den clean.  So you have to teach them that the whole house is their den, one room at a time, not just the kitchen.  To do this, you must  housebreak…. dogs   in each room of your house..  When first introduced to new rooms, the dog should be kept on a leash which is attached to your waist.  This way you can correct  or praise the minute your dog even sniffs.
Another mistake that is made, is in the mornings….when a dog first gets up, he has to go relieve his bladder.  So we let them out and he urinates outside or on the paper/pad.   During the time he was sleeping, his bladder filled. When it filled, his kidneys said  “Oh the bladder is filled I better not send anymore urine there until he empties it.   So in the morning the bladder is emptied and the kidneys immediately start sending the stored up urine back to the bladder.  Sooooooo within about 20 minutes or maybe less,  the dog has to go again.  And if you are not there to let him out, he might just go wherever he is at the moment.  Keep him with you after he gets up.  Keep watching him so you can watch for signs of restlessness or sniffing.  When you see this, hurry him to the door saying,”Do you have to go out?”   and “good potty”  when  he/she does, etc.  If you do this often enough he will get the idea.
Naming the act is the best thing you can do.  Eventually the dog will go when you give the command “Go Potty”.  Just keep saying “Good Potty” every time he does it right and eventually he will ‘get it’.
You can also put a bell on the door and get him used to ringing this when he has to go out.   This way no matter where you are you will hear the bell and know he has to go out.   

One more question, I have many days where at least one of our family members will be at home to occupy him/her but there are days where we will all be out for 7:00 till 3:00... How do I occupy my yorkie puppy? And where do i put him/her?

Hi,  This is why I love the expens.

What you do is separate her bed from the pads, about 3 inches at first.  So she can play either in her bed or on the pads.  Get some great toys,, There are toys that giggle, squeak, can hide treats or food.  Get one stuffed toy, only when she is little and cannot chew the stuffing out.  She will sleep with that for company in the beginning.  If you see her starting to tear it open, replace it with one that has no stuffing.  She may never tear it up if she gets to love it.

Some Kong toys you can put little biscuits inside so she can work on that all day to get a snack.  Also, you must leave some food down because that is too long for a yorkie puppy to go without food.  Rule of thumb is: 2 months 5 times a day, 3 months  4 times a day 5 months 3 times a day and 6 months twice a day.  Around 8 months you can go to once a day with a couple of snacks during the day.    
Ok hope this helps.

Nancy Perry

You can ask me anything on dog training, dog breeding, dog grooming. What type of dog you should get. Pertinent facts about different breeds. I am also specifically knowledgeable about terriers and the diets that help maintain coat excellence. I have trained and helped owners train their dogs.

I have worked in dog training for 35 years. I have been a dog groomer for 25 years..

Certified trainer with Petsmart Certified Groomer with Petsmart

approximatedly 2 to three hundred clients since 1993