Dogs/Dog vomiting & diahhrea

For christmas I bought my dog, she's a 5 year old Brittany Spaniel this dog bone: (I think it was this bone I don't know for sure)

Yesterday she finally started chewing on it and by this morning she had ate the whole bone! It was a huge bone and I'm thinking I should of stopped her from eating the whole bone.

This morning she had dark brown, runny, diahhrea and I didn't think much of it except that she got a stomach ache from the bone. Tonight not long ago she vomited twice. The vomit is a light red so I don't know what it is, possibly blood? She only ate 1 cup of dog food yesterday and today she didn't eat anything.

I don't think the bone was filled with red meat or anything so I don't know what the red vomit is because she hasn't ate anything the past few days besides her dog food & the bone. I took her for a walk today and yesterday and she's been like choking and coughing so I'm kinda worried! Right now she is laying on her pillow...  

Any suggestions would be great!! :)

I am not a veterinarian, but as a dog owner I have to say that I think you need to get your dog to the vet NOW. It sounds to me like she has ingested a too-large piece of rawhide, and she may have a blockage. The red vomit does sound like blood.

At least telephone the emergency vet and get his/her opinion on this; they can tell you if this is as serious as I suspect it may be.

Karen Brittan

I have been showing miniature schnauzers in conformation, obedience, and earthdog for forty years, and am a professional dog groomer. I am not a veterinarian and cannot answer questions of a veterinary nature. However, I can give my opinion or share some experiences on some health issues. Everyone should remember that this is a volunteer service, and few of us are up late into the night. Medical emergencies require a veterinary visit, or at least a telephone call... not an internet question which might not be viewed and answered until hours later. If your dog is sick or injured, it should be seen by a licensed professional for proper diagnosis and treatment.

I have taught obedience classes and have taught people how to groom for many years.

Learn more about me and my dogs:

Member of: American Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Miniature Schnauzer Club; Twin Cities Obedience Training Club; Elk River Kennel Club; Minnesota Professional Pet Groomers Association; Greater Twin Cities Earthdog Club.

Fifty-one years of living with, observing, and training dogs, along with numerous seminars during that time.