Dogs/Getting Two Dogs of Different Breeds

I've been curious about this for a while. I understand that its easier to get one puppy, train it, and then get the second one. Makes things easier on the owners and on the dogs.

My question is this: I'm thinking of getting a dachshund AND a golden lab retriever. A "big" and a "little" dog. Both will be spayed/neutered in time. Which would you suggest getting first, and which sex should each be?  Just to make sure they get along and such.

Thank you!

Hi Julie,

Dogs have no concept of the different breeds, or even their size differences.
I know of a family with a Saint Bernard and a Chihuahua, and it's the Chihuahua who's the dominate dog in the household. And I've seen another Chihuahua attack a perfectly calm Pit Bull. It's temperament and how dominate an individual dog is, that matters when there is more than one dog in the home.

More often than not, if there is an aggression problem between dogs in a home, it's with female dogs, even if the two females have been spayed. Many times two female puppies raised together will be fine as pups, but as they grow aggression issues can develop. For this reason, it's best to have a neutered male with a spayed female, or two neutered males.

It doesn't matter if you get the Dachshund or the Golden first, but the second dog's temperament should be evaluated prior to bringing it home, to ensure a complementary temperament to your first dog's. If your first dog has a dominate personality, you'd want your second dog to be more submissive. Also, when you get your first puppy be sure to expose him/her to lots of different people and other dogs, and make sure he's socialized very well. This will help ensure that he will adapt easily to all kinds of situations when he's finally grown up. A "puppy kindergarten" class is a great way of introducing a puppy to the basics of obedience, as well as allowing it to interact with other dogs and people in a positive controlled environment.

You can read more about evaluating dog temperament here:

The best time to get a second puppy is when the first puppy is reliably house trained, well-socialized, has bonded to you, and knows at least some basic obedience (sit, comes when called, stay/down etc). With that in mind, Dachshunds can be stubborn and difficult to housebreak, meaning it might be best to get the Golden first. Your Golden will still be enough of a puppy to enjoy the active rambunctious play of the Dachshund. Just be sure to supervise, so the newer puppy doesn't get hurt.

I hope I've been a help.
Best of luck,

To date, I've owned 7 dogs, all of which have lived into old age. Having cared for them in all stages of life, I feel I can offer sound advice to other pet owners, and people considering getting a dog. I am knowledgeable about the AKC (American Kennel Club) dog breeds, training and exercise, caring for sick and elderly pets, feeding, as well as many holistic treatments pets can benefit from. My only request is that you write me using standard English and punctuation.

My life experience in this field is more like "on the job training" rather than an actual degree in animal welfare. You may benefit from my experiences over the past 30 years. Aside from the dogs I've owned, I'm also involved in "breed rescue" and have fostered several dogs, all of which have been adopted to wonderful "forever homes". I find helping people who want a dog very rewarding.

Real life experience, based on over 30 years of dog ownership.